Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
My take on it is that they launched the SE version on November 9 so, from that point on, you have the option to buy the SE version outright at $899 (it would make no sense for them to allow people to buy the base BDP-83 from Nov 9 onwards and then buy the upgrade at $299 and get an SE BDP-83 without the faceplate at $100 less).

Yep, both you guys are right, I didn't think of it in those terms. Why offer a discount to those who had a chance but did not avail themselves but don't punish those that had no opportunity.

I agree it's classy marketing. Good call on both you guys part.

Now if someone could describe what we get for the $299.00 so those of us on the fence could decide if it's money well spent.
Albert...you get the new ESS DAC chipsets and upgraded power supplies which were the two weak points of the base BDP-83 player in terms of audio playback. Click on the link I posted in my first comment above (i'll include it again): http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/blu-ray-BDP-83SE-Features.aspx...

There are four tabs:
(1) "Features/Specs" which describes the SE in detail
(2) "Comparison" which compares the SE to the base model
(3) "Images" close up pics of the SE front and back
(4) "Upgrade Option" a description of the upgrade for base model owners.

Again as has been mentioned before, the upgrade to SE only impacts the audio performance through analog outputs (does not impact performance if you are going to be using HDMI output). Hope this helps.
Cmalak, I read that at Oppo site before posting, but IMO only another audiophile can tell us what the mods mean in terms of improved music performance.

I'm not impressed with Oppo sound as I already mentioned in an earlier post on this thread. My Pioneer Blue Ray was more musical than the Oppo but the Oppo is better on Blue Ray.

If the Oppo mod made mine better than the Pioneer Blue Ray I would go for it. I have a VERY old Rotel CD player and even it sounds better than my Oppo. I know others have had better experience but that's mine so far.
So far most of the posts in this thread are all pointing to other reviews and opinions. Is there anyone actually own a BDP-83SE?