Help a vinyl newbie improve his rig

Hi everyone,

Over the last few months I've been experimenting with vinyl and tubes for the first time, and, well you know the story…I've left my CDs and solid state amps behind and am loving the beauty of analog sound on tube gear. I've got an integrated and speakers that I'm very happy with (Cayin SP10a and Wavetouch Grand Teton Gen2), so I'm looking to take a step or two up the ladder with the turntable and phono amp. Currenly I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and a Vincent PHO-8 phono stage.

So, my guess is that the turntable is the weakest point and that to make a jump in sound I should be looking at 'tables like the Rega RP6, VPI Scout Jr. Clearaudio Concept, etc. From the few reviews I've read, the Vincent seems to be a solid phono stage (even though I'd like a tube phono stage in the future).

I'm not asking for specific recommendations on 'tables, but rather trying to get a feel for the most important first step in upgrading the vinyl sound quality.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Best,
Scott
smrex13
Did you buy just the stylus or the whole cartridge, because the stylus is all you'd need.

As for replacement, it varies with the cartridge design. I suggest you read the instructions first, and if you're unsure of anything call the vendor for how to change it.

Many of them slide in and out pretty easily. You mainly have to be sure you're pulling or pushing at the correct angle for the stylus and cartridge body to slide apart or together.
Once again Johnny offers sound( bad pun),
Solid, common sense approach to an upgrade...and that Blue will be a nice leap..although a recent audition shows the Red is no slouch...former Project owner as well...
Thanks everyone. I have the blue cartridge coming, and apparently it's quite simple to swap out the stylus. I also ordered the speed control, so we'll see how much of an improvement that offers.

Thanks again!
Scott
I'm in a similar boat. Probably a few swipes further down Upgrade-itis path.

I'm working the a Debut Carbon. Added the speed controller. Nice addition. Swapped Red for Blue an hour ago. It's breaking in and sounding great. But like was recently mentioned, Red was not a slacker.
I built an Isolation Table last week.
I think it's about max'd out on potential, especially with classic rock which is what I listen to. I'm running into a Musical Fidelity to B&W 804N.
I'm pondering a new platter and mat. Swapped felt for a thin layer of suede. Can't tell where I am since I've done it all so quickly but can say the system is approaching bliss. Rumors, Strangers in the Night and Aja are reference media. I suppose that would be the advise. Make sure to select solid media that you know inside and out to pick out differences.
Thanks to everyone for their advice. As an update…I added the speed control and the Blue a couple of days ago, and it made a nice difference. Much larger soundstage, more detail, and far less distortion and popping/clicking. My Jolida tube phono amp arrived today. I plugged it in, and the first song was just glorious - a HUGE step up from my Vincent. Voices hung in the air, vocals were smooth and realistic… then on to song two: the right channel dropped out completely and I'm returning the Jolida. It sounded awfully nice for 6 or 7 minutes…

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for all the guidance.

Scott