Help! Best amp for Rockport Aviors?

I recently purchased a pair of Rockport Aviors to replace my Dynaudio C2s. My system comprises of a Berkeley Reference DAC, Spectral DMC-30SS preamp, and Spectral DMA-260 stereo amp. My intial impression was disappointing - "hot" treble and a lack of low end slam. I assumed that my amp didn't have enough current to drive the Aviors properly so I auditioned the Spectral DMA-400 RS monos with the Aviors and that combo still didn't resonate in the way I first heard the Aviors (kicking myself for not noting the system). My current theory is that the Spectral gear (as much as I love it) isn't a good match for the Rockports; therefore, I have a bit of a quandary - ditch my Spectral system or the Aviors.

I know that Andrew uses a Gryphon stack to voice his speakers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't kmow of a USA Gryphon dealer and wouldn't purchase a Gryphon component without hearing it in person first.

So cut to the chase: Avior owners out there - what do you drive them with that results in the "softer" treble and bass slam that I know these speakers are capable of. My current guess is to audition Pass Labs.
jason_john_howes
Thanks for the detailed response cycles2!

My dealer is also an authorized Devialet dealer and I actually went through that same "simplification" exercise and ended up passing on the Devialets as my Spectral system sounded so much better with my C2s. Given your advice, I'm going to audition them again with the Aviors. What speaker cables do you use with your Altairs? I auditioned them with my Spectral/MIT cables and I want to eliminate them from the mix, as perhaps they don't work well with the Deviatets...

Thanks again!
J
Hi,

i actually use 2 burmester 911 mk3 in mono configuration to drive my Aviors. The speakers disappear! There is no hardening in the treble, whatsoever and the bass is as visceral as i have felt. But I also use the burmester 088 preamp. I must confess, the 911mk3 is partial its own kin.....
......just to add, I have heard the Aviors driven by the Karan S600 stereo amp. Simply superb!
Do me a simple favor before you buy a new amp.  Drive your current amp directly from the Berkeley DAC.  I did this, taking a PrimaLuna Dialog preamp out of the mix, and it was a big improvement.
Synergistic Research's latest high-end cables, the Atmosphere Level 4.  I can't imagine that your cables are the main reason.