Help for a vinyl novice

Hello,

I've swam about in hi-end audio for over a decade now, but only in the digital world. I've had plenty of experience with tubes, ss, planars, drivers, etc. However, i'm making the plunge into the deeper waters of vinyl. Whenever I see a good, "entry-level" tt for sale, I immediately start researching it here and elsewhere online. And, of course, there are as many good reviews as there are detractors and I end up with cold feet.

Could someone point me to a solid tt under $1K, including arm and cartridge? I'm not averse to upgrading either at a later date and feel comfortable enough to undertake such an upgrade as needed, though not immediately.

I have a pair of Reference 3A de Capo i's being powered by an LSA Statement integrated with an MM phono input. My listening room is small - 10'W x 12'L x 7'H - and I have an 8" Velodyne sub lurking in the corner.

Maybe take a look at what's being offered now and advise? or advise what to look for in future listings?

Thank you much,

Simao
128x128simao
I went through the same thought process last year as you are going through now. I ultimately purchased a Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable, Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono stage, and the acrylic platter upgrade. All in, the cost was about $650 all new. It is a nice piece of gear, the included cartridge sounds good, the purchase was a smart one. The only thing I miss from my turntables growing up are the auto start and auto return features. Other than that, it will serve you well.

Rich
Normally I don't like to recommend what I already have or want to have, preferring to suggest something that is right for you. Not me. But in this case I have to.

Take a look at the Pro-ject RM5.1 at 1K even. It come pre-equipped with a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cartridge and Pro-jects carbon fiber 9CC tonearm. These items purchased separately are $400 and $700.

For all you get, I truly believe this is the best value in a turntable package out there for a thousand dollars. I bought one and it sounds and performs so well, I cannot see upgrading it yet. BTW, the Blue Point No 2 is a very nice high output MC cartridge that will work well with any MM preamp. It is extremely well balanced and I enjoyed its sound for 1200 plus hours until it was time to replace it. The tonearm is used on entry level models by high end TT manufacturers Oracle and Avid.

Hope this helps and good luck.
My current vinyl front end consists of a Rega P3/24 with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and a Musical surroundings Phonomena phono preamp. Also, I upgraded the table with a Groovetracer acrylic platter and Reference sub-platter. I have spent a total of: P3/24 used=$700 Dynavector new=$450 Musical Surroundings used=$325 Groovetracer upgrades=$450. I did these in steps over a couple years.I would have to spend $5000.00 to get better sound from here.