Help. What phono preamp to buy?

I am revisiting Vinyl. I am getting a Clearaudio Solution with a Unify arm and a Benz Micro cartridge ( MC L2 with 0.4mV output )
I have not been able to decide on a phono pre-amp and I would like to hear all of your suggestions. The rest of the system is a Cary SLI-80 integrated amp, used mostly in 40watt triode mode, B&W 804N and an REL Storm III Sub. The most expensive one I have researched is the Herron. Also wonder about the EAR and Phenomena. The price of these ranges from $600 to $3250. I would like to stay in the $1000 range if possible.
Ag insider logo xs@2xsnooker14
I have had very good success with the Art Audio Vinyl One. On the used market, it is a bargain. Though I'm getting my dream phonostage soon and must part with mine, the Vinyl One has been highly enjoyable and completely trouble free. I'd suggest putting it on your short list. Good luck.
Snooker, might be possible to buy a used Aesthetix Io (non signature) at the upper limit of your budget. This is my favorite phono, and has lots of possibilities for tube swaps and gain settings to match any situation.

If you ever planned on a high end preamp, the Io is available with volume controls and spare input, making it a one box answer for phono, CD and line stage. Remote control is in the works and expected to show at CES 2003. This could be added as budget permits making it a perfect combination of performance, flexibility and convenience.