How do you determine how much to spend on speakers

Hello all,

I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how funds should be distributed. At this stage, I have no interest in any analog components. Most notably, whether or not it is favorable to splurge on speakers and settle for less expensive components and upgrade later, or set a target price range and stick to it.

Thanks
krazeeyk
Let me have a redo on this, I've just experienced a system that I've owned for 8 years which I thought sounded pretty good but always thought something was missing. I never realized what power cord upgrades, conditioners, interconnects, and speaker cables could do for a system. Oh and not to forget source components, I.E. cd, or tt. I still have the same amps and pre and speakers I've had. I got a new TT and a new cdp which was a major improvement. This wasn't all I also had the pleasure of experiencing power cords and i-connects. I didn't have any idea, I thought a cdp was a cdp and a cable was a cable. If you are looking to get into this hobby and want somewhere to start don't neglect the source components and power cords starting with the source component. Don't spend all your money on speakers as the signal starts at the source or the cord going to the source. It has been an amazing experience for me finally realizing my systems potential and I hope that others don't make the same mistake I made of listing to good amps, pre's, and speakers thru bad sources and cables. I now think that is the most important part of a system.
I'll largely concur down the line with Xxmalakeixx...and DON'T ignore the used gear market.
Modern electronics - even in the low priced mass produced category - are for the most part simply VERY good. In my 20s, it cost many thousands to achieve what is readily available today for a few hundred dollars.
Your source and your loudspeakers will be largely responsible for 80% plus of the sound that reaches your ears.
Don't waste a lot on fancy cables - but DO spend enough for decent quality - and here again, great used bargains out there.
A'goN people, is there a thread with a longer life than this one? Thanks, whatjd
OK, going to place this in this thread and hope the answers make sense to me.

Wife and I have been looking and listening to speakers. She is trained vocal, teacher wanted her to go pro as a teenager. Her likes are classical and opera. Now mine are rock and Jazz. Same story again I know.

Went out to listen to speakers,she liked/loved the Sonus Faber auditor series, the flute player in one piece was a note late she said and like the placement of instruments from the recording. Ok high price here, I also like because of the rich sound and warmth of the speakers

Next set was the Definitive tech Mythos. These speakers are harsh to me. But the wife loved them for the placement of instruments, a major thing for her.

Martin logan, more transparent and warmer sounding to me. Wife could not find the placement of instrument. Could be room set up here as I gather they do need to be placed correctly.

B&W nicer than the Definitive tech Mythos but still harsh to me.

Maggies, both of us liked but how much amp do you need with these? Thinking of probaly 1.6's so you can help figure amp size.

Any help appricated.
hi inwanw:

i own 1.6s. there have been threads regarding this speaker. i will be brief. room size and spl will determine power requirement. i have a 30 watt amp and a 120 watt amp. i use both and have no problems. leave space between speaker and rear wall. at least 4 feet is advisable. ironically, i am looking to replace my 1.6s because of the tweeter. it's too hot, even with a tube amp.

this thread is relevant to me, as i am shopping for a speaker. i am considering only panel speakers.

they can be pricey, i.e., more than $7000, retail.
it makes no sense to have a budget constrain me from findinga speaker which i prefer over the magnepan. there are so few speakers i like, period.

i would say, out of the totality of current production speakers, i like or would own, no more than about 7.

thus, for me, i have an upper limit of $20,000, which shouldn't be a problem. if i were less fussy, it would be easier to find a speaker under $10,000. i have received several suggestions but invariably they are cone-based speakers, which, in general are annoying after some period of time.