How do you know when to use ANALOG vs DIGITAL?

I'm struggling to understand what type of interconnect I would use between my pre-amp and my amp? Is it an analog signal?

I'm assuming that I would use a digital going from my source (DVD/CD) to my pre-amp?

Just a little confused? Thank you for the help.
vman71
Steve: I'm gobsmacked!!! That was brill!!! : )

As to the other responses, thanks for the support and kind words. If someone doesn't understand what i'm trying to say, please ask for clarification. As you all know, i'm not afraid to type at length : ) Sean
>
Sean's answer could be understood by anyone with at least a Crutchfield high school diploma !
sean, you're correct, i have asked questions where the answers here have been unclear to me, and evryone here DOES take the extra time to "dunb it down" when i ask them to and it is appreciated. i am new and i have actually begun to be able to absorb the info and assimilate it into answers for other people. nice. but,darrylhifi, while the humor is acknowledged, seans' answers do take more than roaming a retailers web site(crutchfeild)to understand. give the original poster your opinion on his question in lieu of a flippant remark, or at least give both. with that said, a good cable is a good cable, either way. i'd would concern youdelf with what type of cable to use, ie s-video, coax, rca etc. to acheive what you'r looking for.