How do you ship large items? Help

Yeah, I want to buy these very large speakers from someone in Audiogon, but he does not have the boxes or crate that they were shipped in. I talked to UPS frieght and they told me that large, heavy items must be on a pallet, secured and wrapped before they would accept it. How would i go about finding a pallet and then securing it to the pallet and wrapping? Is there such a service that will professionaly pack items like this? Ive never had to deal with something like this so im totally lost here. The speakers weigh 250lbs each and are over 60 inches high. I quess i could drive there myself, but its 1100 miles away!!
Not your average day trip ya know? Any help would be appreciated here. If i can't find a solution i just won't be able to buy them, but it is a good deal! Thanks all!
bathory_127
The seller is paying for the insurance for it really protects him more than me for we are going through an escrow service to protect both of us from the dirty word known as (fraud)!Anyone doing a large sum of money purchase should use an escrow service for it protects both buyer and seller from unfair play. We are using a very good escrow company, i would give the name but im not sure i can in this forum, but you have to be carefull with the escrow service you use as well because there are some who can also be frauds!
Another good reason to drive and deal in person as you just added another unknown to the equation.I do understand you can't drive and yet are compelled to complete the deal.Is this your first time using escrow?How did you qualify them?BBB?Recommendations?Tarot cards?I am asking as I may need one someday,thanks,Bob
Yes I have used an escrow service before and it worked out well. I was the seller and was selling a very large Meade telescope lx-200 10 inch. I had it in an auction and I sold it for $3800.00. Again, it was a very large item and I had to ship it to South Carolina and I used UPS back then and the person who won the auction had 7 days to inspect and test the scope before releasing the money to me. He did just that and notified the escrow service and the money was wired to my account. I would never do a large transaction without an escrow service. It protects you and the other party completely. You just have to be sure the escrow service you are using is legit and not some fly-by-night type of deal. You have to research the company you are dealing with to keep yourself safe. Contact the BBB to find out if they are indeed legit and then continue.
Well, I figured Id update this as to the outcome. It took about a month to finally get the speakers delivered. They were packed very well and there was no damage what so ever. I think I am one of the lucky ones from some of the horror stories Ive read on the internet about movers destroying expensive items. But it all worked out in the end. I would recommend using an escrow service for it worked out perfectly for the seller and I. It really is the way to go to protect both buyer and seller from fraud! I never would have been able to buy the PBN Montana XP speakers new at $15,000.00 and I was lucky enough to find them here for $6,000.00. They are in perfect condition and they sound increadible! I really have to thank Audiogon for this! The best place to find high end equipment!