How does one go about auditioning a new turntable?

I've got an average midfi system consisting of a MMF-5/Grado Platinum into a Pro-Ject Tube Box, B&W Monitor Speakers, and an old Marantz integrated. I'm looking to eventually upgrade everything, and thought I'd start out with a new turntable. I am relatively young (22)and since I'm not likely to be staying in one place very long for the foreseeable future I'd like to steer clear of speakers, which are room dependet (as well as the amps that mate with the speakers). I guess I could be talked into getting a new pre-amp if thats the direction that I should head in.

Anyways, my budget is up too at most $3,000. I'd rather spend much less than that. But my real question is what do I look/listen for while auditioning. I'll have nothing to use as a benchmark, other than the music I'm listening to.
britishbane
Huh, in your position, I'd think I'd start with a replacement for the amp. Besides that, I'm not sure I understand your question...I mean, listen to a $3kturntable (if you can find anyone to demo it, if you can find a dealer who'll give you a home demo), and see if it sounds better! Also, what about a cd player?
You are between a rock and a hard spot if you don't have equipment presently which is capable of resolving the differences between your present and any prospective playback system.

You really have to make it a move of faith based on reasearch and opinions, both of which I would avoid. If I were in you place I'd just buy a lot more music and wait to settle into a more permanent place.

In the mean time I would do a lot of research on the construction of TT's, arms, cartridges, how they interface and under what circumstances they work best. Sonically speaking the cartridge and phono stage synergy is a big item but that will interface with your speakers/amp combo so its hard to determine in advance what will float your boat.

If you feel rushed to move, personally, I would focus on an unsuspended TT and a high quality medium mass arm as that would have more universal potential in the long run.

Good luck............
What results are you looking for? When upgrading, if you don't start with your weakest link, you won't be able to fully appreciate (or even hear) the other changes you make. Right now your weakest link is probably the old integrated amp. In addition, lack of vibration control and solid racks and platforms (if that's the case), would obscure many changes and upgrades, or render them ambiguous.

Make sure your turntable is well platformed and isolated, followed by the components. Make sure your cabling is well-suited to your setup. Make sure your speakers are put on good stands (if applicable) and well-placed in your room.

Then I would go for a better integrated amp or line stage plus power amp. For a lot less than your budget, you could get a 200 wpc Vincent integrated amp from Audio Advisor on sale right now for $999 here: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1VISV233. If it doesn't work out for you, they have a 30-day full (minus return shipping) refund policy.

Vibration control, good cabling, and a higher-rez amp should help you evaluate if your turntable, cartridge, and phono stage present significant shortcomings. I personally think your TT, cart, and phono stage are the best parts of your current rig.
your turntable and system are fine. in all honesty, you could blow through thousands of dollars and be no futher ahead....don't fall prey to equipment esoterica until you are settled into your career, living location, etc.