How important is the speaker/room interface?

In my years in this hobby, I've come to believe the speaker/room interface is one of the most important elements we face in building a satisfying audio system. And while it seems there is a growing realization of this point (emphasis on speaker placement and room design), I don't believe it yet receives the attention it deserves. For example, some folks who have never addressed the sonics of their listening rooms may spend weeks and significant money trying out different wires when a different speaker system and/or room treatments could provide far greater sonic improvements.

I have three friends who have the same make/model speaker as I own. I've listened to each of them with the same or similar amps, yet the sonic results are significantly different. The primary difference is the rooms -- volume, shape, construction, decoration, etc. So while I've made adjustments in my own speaker/room to improve it to a reasonable extent, I know my speakers could sound better in a more optimized room based on this experience. No change of sources, electronics, wires, tweaks, etc. could effect as much difference.

I'm thinking about this now since I just read the HFN history in "Sound Bites" by Kessler and Harris. In a 1994 interview by Ken Kessler with Peter Walker, Walker is ask what he believes still needs to be addressed in audio. His first response is the relationship of the speaker and room.

So, any thoughts as to why the speaker/room interface is not more universally considered the top priority in building a system?
pryso
"So, any thoughts as to why the speaker/room interface is not more universally considered the top priority in building a system?"

That's an easy one: because you can't sell people the latest and greatest "speaker/room interface". The basics laws of physics don't change. The best speaker placement in a room today is most likely the same one that existed 30 years ago.

It's a lot easier to make money selling the latest and greatest design or component innovation.

Unfortunately, like most things these days, its all about the $$$$$$s, baby!
I would like to mention that the best system I have ever heard, was one where the loudspeaker system was built into the room. This is the monitoring system at Focus Studios in Denmark. Robert E Greene described it in an Absolute Sounds article a few years ago. The experience from this room makes every high end system I have heard sound flawed. Every high end audiophile should hear this room before making a system purchase, as I believe Ole Christensen the designer, will be more than happy to make a room like that for any audiophile who desires the best.
05-21-08: Undertow asked:
"What is a Sumiko MasterSet? I looked this up once and never found anything on it...."

Hopefully before year end there'll be a DIY DVD out to help anyone do the Master Set themselves. Until then, it's a methodology for speaker placement that Sumiko teaches their dealers.

If you buy Sonus Faber or Vienna Acoustic speakers from a dealer it should be part of the deal. Otherwise, you can beg a Sumiko dealer to let you pay them to do it. In Colorado, Rod Tomson of Soundings, or one of Soundings other trained experts, will do on any speaker, for a fee.

I've done a review in the Review section of A'gon.

Dave
Sumiko also offers a free MasterSet performed by trained Sumiko personnel with the purchase of any new Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers from an authorized North American dealer.
And the 'minority' of audiophile that have not purchased Strads. . . can call their Sumiko dealers to determine if they can perform a MasterSet. All dealers have been formally trained, though not all of them have taken the time to hone their skills. As mentioned elsewhere, Soundings markets MasterSet as a service, and will perform it for any audiophile in North America. . . for less than the cost of a good power chord.