How much power is to much power?

When is an amp overkill for a speaker? More specifically, I have 91db speakers and I'm considering two SS amps, one 140 watts and the other 200 watts. Are they both too much? Is it too much simply because you're paying for extra power but don't need it, or because it's a detriment to the overall system sound?

Thanks.
128x128jtnicolosi
A Accuphase P200/P300 don't even worry about it....if there qaulity drivers the amps won't be a problem...btw the Accuphase amps have built in protection circuits for driving unsafe loads.
Newbee says::
FWIW, if you've got the money, and you are not giving up sound quality, having high power reserves in not a bad thing. But high power high quality amps cost a disproportionate amount of money for the power you get but don't use.

Exactly my point. With reasonably sensitive speakers, you simply have little need for mega power. Sure, I'd love a pair of Mac monoblocs or a pair of BelCanto Ref1000's.....a full kilowatt each into my Maggies, but why bother? With my Maggies at what....? 85db, I'd need 4x the power for the same result as Jtnicolosi with his 91db speakers.

Take the difference in money, and buy some more music and maybe work on the room.
Power is a testosterone experience in that some like big things, in this case power/watt numbers. Here is the math. To go up 3db, you need to double your power. At 91db, you are at 1 watt and you would be at 8 watts when you are at 100db...that is loud. The only advantage to power is whether it is highly biased into class A, then you would be running into class A up to perhaps 10-20 watts before switching into AB. All the watts will keep Edison, PG&E and company happy. Bottom line is that more power=more noise==more problems due to more transistors or more tubes=more money. I like lower power as long as it is controlled. Me, tubes, tubes, tubes. Jeff
Jtnicolosi,

You listen to the two kinds of music that require the greatest power reserves - classical and rock. You need lots of power. Think about it, rock is typically performed with several thousand watts of power, huge speaker systems and full drum kits. The wall of sound and chest thumping beat is what gives rock music its power to move you, whether it is in your living room, a bar or a stadium. Classical music, especially full orchestral pieces, rely on 80+ musicians drawing strings, blowing on woodwinds and beating on kettle drums and cymbals. Crescendos in classical music require tremendous amounts of fast power to replicate the scale and speed of all those different instruments and energy operating in unison. Not only that, but multiple speaker drivers to move significant volumes of air don't hurt either.

The problem is a trade off between adding more components (capacitors, resistors, diodes, etc.) to increase power, and the value of simple circuits in terms of noise and distortion. Smaller scale and lower energy music like acoustic jazz and vocals requires less power to reproduce lifelike scale and transients, and the extra power capacity just adds unnecessary noise. I agree with some others here that an important issue for you is the need to reproduce low frequencies at a realistic scale. For the kinds of music you like, I think the sensitivity of your speakers is less important than the amount of low frequency energy present in the signals you are trying to reproduce, and the ability of your amplifier(s) to lord over the woofers in your speakers and move air.

140wpc versus 200 wpc is not really as critical as the current and dampening factor provided by the amplifier. For example, the Naim Nait 5i with 50 wpc channel provides as much or more control in practice than many 100+ wpc amps, because it seems to be able to deliver current quickly and efficiently to the speakers.

How much power is too much power? In your case, more than you need to reproduce the music of your choice, whether it is the Who or Mahler's 2nd, with convincing scale and drama. For classical and rock, I doubt you will find that point of diminishing returns below about 100 amps of current delivery and a dampening factor of about 500, regardless of the sensitivity of your speakers.