How to divide a budget between components

Hello All,

I recently read through an interesting thread on AG in the speaker section on the best way to allocate one's budget for a system (the consensus was to put about half towards the speakers and the remainder towards everything else).

So on that note, what is the best way to allocate one's non-speaker budget? There seems to be a growing number of improved components to buy that are supposed to make a big difference. Where would a person's money be best spent? Below are some items to possibly consider for a components budget. For this example, the components budget would be $10K (keeps the math easy) and the speakers would be worth around $15k. I know the allocation would vary on more factors (such as music preference, digital vs analogue focus, etc) but I'm wondering as a general overall rule what has worked best?

Amplifier
Pre-amp
Turn table
Turn table cartridge
CD player
DAC
Surge protection
Speaker cables
Power cables
Equipment racks/tables
Room treatments
(Are there any I missed?)
xerotrace
Is that all they cost? I thought they were a lot more. Oh well, if you want to dedicate 65% toward the source and only 15% for the speakers, that's your right man. I would just caution others on the same. Have a great day
Used. Paraneer. But... why settle for less by compromising by not being able to afford new kit?
I have had this argument before and I have been down these roads for 35 years. I like ultra detail...that is where the emotion and nuance of the music lies. Once the source fails to retrieve that information, no other component will bring it back.
Used. Paraneer. But... why settle for less by compromising by not being able to afford new kit?
Thanks Noromance. This is what I suspected; you bought used. It is also proves my point why assigning percentages to allocate funds per component doesn't work...
Are we talking New equipment vs. Old?
Are we talking MSRP of New vs. Closeout/Discount Price of the same New?
Are we talking about a mix of all the above?
In reality, I'll bet your analog front isn't really 65% of your total system cost if you were to compare apples to apples. Yet you recommended the same. Its simply what you paid.
I rest my case. Have a good one brother!
In researching the importance of the wire component I came across this article. It seems very scientific and objective but it goes agains what I have traditionally been told about how important the relay component of a system is. I am still learning but the author (former McIntosh engineer) makes a good case that when it comes to cabling the value has more to do with making sure the gauge is appropriate for the distance and everything else is hype or marketing to sell expensive cables. From everyone's experience is this correct? Here is the article:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
Xerotrace, most here would disagree with Mr. Russell's assertion, including me (and I am an experienced analog and digital design engineer). However, contrary to what some seem to believe, that does not mean that "more expensive" = "better," especially when it comes to cables. You may find this thread to be of interest.

Regards,
-- Al