How to divide up $4,500, Amp/Speakers

I need a new back-end for my system (amp/speakers) and have around $4,500 to spend on used equipment.

Front end is VPI HR-X, Koetsu RSP, JMW 12.5 arm, Herron VTPH-2.

In this price range I think that an integrated tube amp would be better sonically but I am open to suggestions. My room is small (20x12x7.5) so I am tending toward smaller speakers.

I had a pair of Merlin VSM's long ago and either VSM's or TSM's might work well and also fall in this range used.

Assuming $2,000 used could get the Merlins what would be a good integrated tube amp that works well with them?

Main listening is New Orleans funk, blues, jazz and some classical.
jarrett
My advise was the same as Trcnetmsncom, find the best speaker that you like and figure out the amp situation after.

You have a good front end and will need a good phono preamp too (Dont skimp).. There are lots of good used speakers in the 1500 - 2500 range.

Just my thoughts
Vandersteen 2CE, Spendor sp1/2e,B&W 801 matrix III, revel F50's

New - Magnepan 1.7, Eminent Tech LFT8b

Find a used Sim 5.3 phono preamp
Used Rogue M120 or RM200 amp or Odesey monos

and you will be set...
I understand your concerns about electrostats and otls in which case I stand by my suggestion of the TLD1 and an Almarro 318b. That's not to say the es and otl option is a better one. Just different. I think the TLD1's will be more enjoyable to listen to. They can play most music. They are far more detailed in the upper registers -- the modified raven tweeter in it is the best I've heard aside from the Acapella Plasma.

Of speakers at a similar price point, I prefer them over Audionote AN/e's (the pair I heard was a $20,000 version and it quite frankly sucked), spendors harbeths and the likes, klipsch cornwalls, various Zu speakers (far lesser than the TLD1's) and so on. I think in their price point there's nothing close to as good (the same can be said about the Almarro). And frankly the only thing superior in my opinion would require entering into the realm of super expensive compression drivers. Add a pair of TAD or JBL woofers and you're there.

My last thought would be to pickup a pair of Tannoy dual concentrics. They're very easy to live with but are a little less resolving than the Tonians, electrostats, and compression driver based systems.
I own a pair of the Tonian Labs TLD1 speakers and have heard the Merlin's numerous times. I have to say they offer up quite a different sound. The Tonian's are fast, detailed, and more transparent. Sometimes a bit in your face. When in use I use no toe-in with them. The Merlin's, while not as transparent, are smoother in comparison and IMO would be easier for most people to live with long term.

Aside from that, Wilsynet mentioned a combination of the Lightspeed attenuator and Music Reference RM-10 MkII. I also use this combination and another Audiogon member uses this same combination with Merlin speakers and loves it. The only concern wold be the output impedance on the Herron which is a tad high at 500 ohms. The Lightspeed usually likes to see an output impedance of less than 200 ohms. You could check with the manufacturer to verify that. In lieu of the Lightspeed a buffered preamp like THE TRUTH of Pass B1 would work well.
11-16-10: Clio09
The Tonian's are fast, detailed, and more transparent. Sometimes a bit in your face. When in use I use no toe-in with them. The Merlin's, while not as transparent, are smoother in comparison and IMO would be easier for most people to live with long term.
This is valuable, IMO. Clio09's comments certainly echo what I've heard from Tonian speakers on several occasions.
I. too, have the Tonian TL-D1s and agree with 'fast, detailed and transparent' but 'in your face' can apply to any speaker when not mated with the proper amp, unless they are smooth and wooly to begin with. Who would want that? The Tonians are masters of tone and body when partnered with the right equipment. I've gotten great results with a Burson integrated. And I use a little toe in. I even had Tony Manasian at my place to make sure it was set up right and even in my small apartment, he thought the set up was spot on as to placement.
You can get the speakers, new, along with a new Burson (from partsconnexion.com) for about $4,000 and use the rest on music.