I have been using the Cambridge 851 CD player for a few years and want more.

I have too many CD's to get out of the medium. I wonder what you would recommend (from your experience) as an upgrade for the 851 which I kind of like. should I consider a new player or adding a DAC? I'm retired so I can't go with the most expensive options. Please advise.
Thanks,

donpepe
I’ve heard a couple of older CDPs run through both the Benchmark DAC2 and Bryston BDA-2 DACs and could hear noticeable improvements. I preferred the Benchmark sound myself and am actually watching the used market....
 There's a Metrum Hex DAC on EBay for $1699 -- great DAC.  Just doing my part to help you stay within budget.  Best of luck. 
Try a Doge6, available directly from the company.  An amazingly good piece.  You virtually never see one up for sale.  I sold mine to finance an Esoteric X05 and I was very sorry. 
Not knowing your system,and assuming you’re not already using balanced power; I recommend you audition an Equitech 2Q. You may be very pleased at the quality of sound “hidden” in your present system. I use one along with MIT p/c’s and a Sound Application unit.