I have been using the Cambridge 851 CD player for a few years and want more.

I have too many CD's to get out of the medium. I wonder what you would recommend (from your experience) as an upgrade for the 851 which I kind of like. should I consider a new player or adding a DAC? I'm retired so I can't go with the most expensive options. Please advise.
Thanks,

donpepe
Not knowing your system,and assuming you’re not already using balanced power; I recommend you audition an Equitech 2Q. You may be very pleased at the quality of sound “hidden” in your present system. I use one along with MIT p/c’s and a Sound Application unit. 
I am using a Siltech PC, and balanced interconnects by NBS. My current system is BelCanto REF 1000 MK2 mono's, Ayre K-1x preamp all balanced, Sota Nova TT along with the 851c player.
Thanks 
To adg101, I'm interested in the fuse idea but can't find any mention in the 851 manual about the type of fuses it uses.

Get a good used DAC, and good BNC coax cable and a Synchro-Mesh reclocker to reduce jitter of your transport.  For digital, reducing the source jitter is actually the most important thing:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154408.0

Used DAC - $1000

Coax Cable - $275

Synchro-Mesh, OTL - $699

Once you have this, you can think about getting a network solution, like a Sonos Connect for $599.  This can be easily added in.  Then you can rip all of your CD's and play them from any computer.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Post removed