I need HELP with my LP12 based system

I would love some recommendations from hard-core analog folks. Currently, I have a 23-year-old Linn LP12 with an Ittok arm. My cartridge is a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood II. The TT has all the mods, including Trampalin. It still has the original AC motor. I was the second owner and it came to me with a Goldmund platter. My phono stage is a PH5 and the line stage is the latest version of the VTL 6.5. Amps are Bel Canto Evo2 running as monoblocks and speakers are B&W N803s. I know the system quite well at this point. With all else being equal, I find that compared to my Modwright/Sony CDP, LP playback suffers from a bit of mid bass sluggishness. The mids and highs are gorgeous. They are liquid with loads of inner detail. While the CDP has tight, tunefull, snappy bass, LP bass is just a bit bloated. It lacks some of the dynamics I think it should have. Also, as in hard rock or even big orchestral music, some of the power bass notes are a little whimpy compared to the same thing on CD.
I suspect the weak link in the chain is my cartridge. It might also be the old arm with the ancient wiring therein. In principle, I'm not opposed to replacing the entire analog setup, but it will be some time before I can do that. Given the above description, where would be the best place to invest $2-$3k? I've been spinning vinyl since the late '60s and feel comfortable with my knowledge of where things can go wrong. My current guess is arm resonance along with less than ideal synergy with the cartridge. Please to dive in with even expensive thoughts on the matter!
pscialli
I do not believe there will be any absolutes (solutions) provided here - too many possiblities, biases, and experiences from imperfect human beings. However, as you gain considerable time purusing internet sites, you can gleen some useful information (though most is useful primarily for looking into, not absolute fact). FWIW, Clearaudio cartridges are not known for exagerated midbass (lean if anything), though I suppose it might be possible that cartridge/arm resonances might be responsible.

It seems reasonable to expect that more modern TT designs using more exotic materials and designs would be able to surpass the Linn LP12, though some of these look ridiculous (perhaps necessarily so, though). You would think that simpler is better, at least correctly executed, but that is another topic. Though it has not always been the case, my own more recent experience with the LP12 suggests that a bloated mid-upper bass is not unusually present: my own LP12 (Valhalla-Cirkus-Akito II) does not have any more emphasis in this region than my Ayre CX-7 CD player. I am being honest about it too.

On the other hand, I am running a Linn cartridge on a Linn arm, though the cartridge is only a K9. Maybe the cartridge is light in these areas? You see, no absolute answers. Oh, having the turntable (non Trampolin) mounted directly on the top shelf of a heavy MDF based rack did have the sound richer/heavier than I liked. Placing the TT back on a small, light oak platform with adjustable feet (screws), purchased back in the 80's, did even everything back out.

Note I have not suggested in any way that the LP12 is the ultimate TT (I have not directly compared to the best of the others I have heard), though I will say that I do believe it is a very good way to really enjoy listening to LPs.
I'm sorry that it sounds harsh, but I'm with Flyingred. His reasons are my reasons.

Thsalmon,
You have a Simon Yorke table on order. That's a fairly good move IMO. Why not preach what you practice?
I say horsehockey to all that told you to get rid of the Linn. I was in a similar situation as you not too long ago, was told to ditch the Linn, but instead I upgraded the Valhalla to a Lingo and the Adikt cartridge to a Lyra Argo. Yes, I let my ears guide me...not participants on an audio forum who had not heard the deck in question. Solved the problems. Is this setup a rival for the Walker? Heck, no but it also is signficantly less expensive. Will it rival an SME 20/2? It comes pretty darn close. And, yes, I have heard both in the same environment driven by the same gear.

FYI: you've got the phono preamp that I strive to own one day! However, I have discovered in demoing phono preamps, that my LFD Mistral kicks the tail of most under $1500. And, cost me sufficiently less.

For those who are making recommendations here, make sure you know the dog before you kick it. If I were you, I would take the Linn to the next steps with a NEW Lingo and NEW Argo Lyra.

Good luck in your quest.
Mcrheist,
What's the current installed cost of the Lingo. I found a couple of reviews of it and see that is pretty well respected.I'm forever intrigued that even after a 30 year run, the LP12 is still in the discussion at all.
Regarding the PH5. I found the purchase price to be a little deceiving. I wasn't at all happy with the sound of the stock tubes, even after break-in. I upgraded to some Mullard NOS tubes and things have improved dramatically.
for anyone who is a music lover/collector in vinyl, and aquires more than just drips and drabs of audiophile releases, a 'suspended chasis' turntable is a 'must have'. the linn, along with select models of thorens, have proven their 'worthiness' for decades.....we can check back on the high mass acrylic stuff in 30 years.