Ideas re Spectron mated to Joule-Electra

Hi, am seriously considering buying Spectron Musician III MK II and mating it with Joule-Electra LA-150. Has anyone tried this pair with success (or disappointment). Would be paired with Mag 3.6 speakers and JL Audio F112 sub. Thanks.
ldworet
I think the majority of Spectron owners end up getting Joule-Electra preamps because the are supposed to mate very well. I do think Spectrons benefit from good tube preamps and source components. Like I mentioned in a previous one of your threads, I am thinking of getting a Joule. Let us know what you decide.
>I think the majority of Spectron owners end up getting Joule-Electra preamps

That's definitely not true, but it is a popular pairing, partly because there's a business relationship between the two companies (via Simon, at any rate).

I tried an LA-150 with my Musician III for a couple of days just two weeks ago, though my speakers aren't Maggies. The LA-150 is a seductive preamp, no doubt about it. Rich, ripe, gorgeous tone color; a sweet and delicate treble, though not extended; full (perhaps overly so) bass, though a little loose. Ultimately, though, it was less detailed and resolving than I like, with compromised image specificity. It's sonic signature is quite strong and was evident on all recordings I played. And while I sat in awe of the gorgeous tone, I found myself bored by the music with the Joule in my system. I'm sure others will disagree vehemently, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I wish I could have kept it longer because I didn't have time to play with cables or other tweaks that might have made a difference. Lousy remote.
Hi Drubin,

Thank you for your comments and experience with the LA-150. I'd like to add a little more of that sweet gorgeous tone to my system and want to try the LA-450ME. I think striking that balance is difficult and what many of us desire. What amp/preamp/speakers are you using now?
I'd like to try to LA450ME too, but beyond my budget. My speakers are Dunlavy SC-IIIA and the Spectron is my amp. Searching for a new pre.
Very nice! I have an Ayre KX-R and while the combination is spectacular, I'd just like a little more sweetness. Please keep us/me updated.