Is Bi - amping worth the trouble?

Hello all...

I'm on the fence with the thought of bi amping. A big part of me wants to go ahead with it... the 'wallet' part says "Not so fast".

There should be lots of folks who've biamped speakers before... When it was all said and done, "Was it worth the time and expense?"

I'm inclinded to add a tube amp for the upper end of my VR4 JR's ... or any other speakers for that matter... though in any case and reardless the speakers, tube amp on top, and SS on the bottom.

...and then there's the thought of keeping two dissimilarly powered amps matched at the same volume level... and the added IC's, PC, and stand... it does seem to add up.

... and at this point, I'm thinking BAT to keep things all the same... and am not sure there, wether even that matters too much...

I sure do appreciate the input.
blindjim
Jsadurn has got it very well summarized. I just don't agree with generalizing that ALL tube amps have loose bass and sweet highs, wheras ALL SS amps have great bass and harsh highs. There are amps that do everything right, for a given speaker, NOT because they are tube or SS. And there are amps that do many things wrong, again NOT because they are tube or SS. So, making a rule that the best way to bi-amp is to mix SS and tube amps is an over-simplification.
Warjarrett

If I made a generalization about the tilt of the posts it seemed prudent to me to do so. Waht with the wealth of info being jotted down to further the effort of bi amping. I recall few, if any detractors. However, I understand your point, I believe.

I would think it a given regardless of amp design, a specific speaker may be better mated with a particular amp. I also know from previous experiences there are indeed good and less than good amps solid or holllow state.

I envision the prospect of having both designs at least once, working together in a system. though until recently, I think one can generalize as to the more often than not sonic differences... from Solid to tubes, as more the statement of design archtecture, than perhaps if it's primarily one that employs "no tubes" or one that employs "some tubes". I suspect the recent infusion and growing popularity of HT seems to have changed the voicing of tube amps to a more, if not spot on, neutral cast, by mere demand. What with brand loyalty, and mixing present two channel systems into it a more neutral, faster, more dynamic sonic character of recent tube designs allows for that integration to be one with less disparity which previously existed between SS & tubes.. IMO.

I am not of that ilk. I prefer a touch towards the darker side of neutrality… Not a lot but surely some. Certainly more than I am experiencing with my current amp. The vk500 doesn’t have a brittle bone in it’s body, sonically. Great ease and a wealth of power. Quick and solid. As best I can tell, from top to bottom. An amp one can listen to with great pleasure and endlessly if so desired. I merely wish to add to it. Though I did think to simply add another vk500 during my first thoughts about this endeavor.

Then, what true gain would I have? I’d still not have the experience of both… tube and/or solid amps, in concert., or singularly the tube amp. I'm of a mind that there is a difference between the character of tubes vs. solid state, given just my experiences.

I enjoy now the warmth of what the vk5i, and a goodly bit of tube rolling have provided, but I see it as only half the way there. I just want the other half of it… whatever that may well be. I’ve not heard a great sampling of tube amps as of late but of those I have heard that I consider special, the SS amps in the same price ranges could not compete with the luster or character of the sound furnished by an all tube system. .. but of course, that’s just my little slice of investigating the far greater world of audio.. and try as I might, I have been unable to recreate the sound of an all tube system, though I am close in a couple respects, I can’t quite get it there. Consequently, without making a complete change I’m figuring to just add on. A tube amp for me just seems right somehow. IMO.
Well, in all honesty you might just be best off finding a more liquid sounding Preamp instead of neutral dark and punchy.. The bats are very good, but most of the stuff I listened to them with were on the more Damped sounding speakers like Dynaudio which mixed very well with the BAT tube sound... with the liver sounding speaker you have The VK 500 I don't think is your problem, maybe try a conrad johnson or Cary preamp with some tubey type tubes.. Mullards, Telefunken or something and see what happens. Then worry if bi-amping is a real need.
I'm with Undertow. I think bi-amping your existing system is basically "busy work". It will provide a change but you shouldn't look for an improvement commensurate with the trouble and expense required. After all, you really won't be changing anything. You will still have the same drivers, crossover, etc. The only thing you can achieve is more volume and you don't seem to need that.
Your money might be better spent on real change like a new listening chair.
Macrojack
that is funny. thanks. I have been giving a lot of thought to the chair lately. Just putting it off till I revamp the room. Making do with what's here, given the incredible prices of the furniture I have seen that I do like. You could get a nice amp for the price of the couch alone. so I've decided to settle for less costly a seating arragement. And rugs? My goodness!

For good or ill, my friend, this time next year ol' blindjim, is going to have two amps driving something. Probably be driving me nuts. A fella told me sometime back, as life improves, problems do not go away, all we can hope for is that the quality of them improves too.