Is pure class A ss the equal to tubes?

If someone listens at low levels which would be the best? The reason I'm asking is that I'm undecided on a tube or solid state amp. I'll be using either one with a VTL preamp. Thanks for any input.
mfb33
Some people may say it is, but it really relates to the particular gear in question. A great SS Class A amp may sound better than a less-than-great tube amp. Or vice-versa.
You don't state which speakers you have, which can make a very big difference in which might be a better selection.

In my opinion, with all things being as equal as possible, I'd prefer a good SET tube amp over anything, with the right speakers.
Everyone likes something different. Some people will not like the sound of SS nomatter how good it is, while others will not like tubes.

An apple will never be equal to an orange, and a man will never be equal to a woman. They are two different things, but both can still be wonderful. BUT never equal!
No, a pure class A ss amp is better than tubes (generally speaking). It will have deeper, tighter bass and more extended treble. And these differences are more apparent at low volume levels because of the way the human hearing mechanism works... Since you already have a good tube preamp, I'd go ss on the amp. Just my opinion, based on my own experience; YMMV.