Is revealing always good?

I recently bought a very revealing and transparent CD player (and AVM player). Because I listen to redbook CD's and 705 of the CD's I listen to are jazz recordings from ca. 1955-1963 the recordings often have bad "digititus." The piano's ring, clarinet is harsh, transients are blurred --- just the nature of the recordings. With a revealing CD player, all this was palpably evident so much so that at least 1/2 those CD's were rendered unlistenable. Now, with a cheaper, more colored CD player (a new Creek) --- not nearly as revealing --- one that "rounds off" some of this digititus, these CD's are again listenable.

So... is revealing a particularly good thing for redbook CD playback? I think not. is "colored" always a bad thing? I'd say no. At least for CD playback. Thoughts?
robsker
Its always good to be revealing. What actually gets revealed may not always be to ones liking.
Spending large sums of money to make significant parts of your music collection "unlistenable"? I can't imagine why anyone would endorse such a strategy.

If you described your system/room you might garner some practical suggestions.
Strictly a matter of taste and somewhat dependent on what kind of music you listen to.
I would imagine being a musician might have some bearing as well.