Isolation Devices for Digital

I have noticed what looks like superballs or handballs in cutout wooden blocks these isolation devices called Mini Clouds by Gingko Audio. Anyone use them or have any cheaper alternatives? Do they really help?

Another Audiogoner told me about 3/8" ball bearings placed on Sticky Tack at a total cost of $3. Have not tried this yet.
samzx12
I had the Clouds personally demo'd to me and some friends by the owner of Gingko. They definitely reduce vibration. The demo even included vibration sensors connected to a computer/monitor to show the change.

The system a friend's, and was one unfamiliar to Gingko, so I am sure the demo was for real.

Whether they will make your system sound better, only you will know that.

There are various models at various price points.
If you want vibration isolation, use material that can undergo displacement and absorb vibration or dissipate it. Elastomers, felt, etc. are the usual materials used by engineers. Ball bearings and hard materials do nothing but transmit all of the incoming vibration. Using solid steel blocks instead of springs on your car suspension is something you would dare not do. Air suspensions are great for vibration isolation btw. Precision lab instruments are often mounted on them.
Try some Sanford Artgum erasers. $2 a piece at a crafts store and they work really well - obviously better than Vibrapods in a head-to-head comparison. I have tried several erasers but these are the only ones with the right consistency and density. They also work great as cable lifts. I have them all over the place.

I have to echo Rotarious. As a mechanical engineer, I don't understand this audiophile fascination with metal-point and ball-bearing isolators. Even a single metal contact point will transmit tons of vibration if there is nothing additional to absorb it. This whole "draining vibration" thing is crack pot IMO. I have made careful experiments in my system and unequivocally confirmed it for myself.

Arthur
i have had good luck with Isoclean Isotips. Those Gingko Mini-clouds look cool though...never seen those before. I like the eraser idea, I am going to try that for cable lifts. My wife will love it.