Isolation vs. Absorbtion

I am new to the audiophile hobby, and I am confused by what appears to be subjectivity and contradictions. When "mounting" a cd player and other components, is it best to use Soft Pads which ISOLATE vibration and RETAIN internal component vibration, OR is it best to use Hard Cones, which DRAIN (harmful) component vibrations into shelf material. Secondly, is it best to attach shelving to racks so that shelving makes Direct (hard) Contact - OR, should the shelving be Isolated from rack? Is there a scientific, indisputable answer?
128x128equa
Thanks Redkiwi, I know you have put a lot of work in this and I am sure everyone appreciates your efforts. I know I do. Hi Dekay, at least you have a valid excuse. I do stuff like that all the time. You are an hour south of me and I do look foward getting togeather with you. I have a few toys we can play with. Should be fun.
Thank-you Redkiwi, as always a thoughtful responce. I'm excited to try out the Neuance, and I'll keep you informed.
Try the cones under a speaker, Dekay? Heck, why not. When my new order comes in from Mapleshade, I'll try it. I was really only looking for a cone that would sound a little faster in my turntable setup (and will try the Ultimate triplepoints there), but my CDP asked for a tryout, too, so why stop there? I put three cones under my cereal bowl this morning, and damned if the oats didn’t taste a little more like oats, and the corn a little more like corn. Seemed to stay crunchier, too. ...... Mapleshade is aware that every once in a while their cones have the tiny nib on top that wasn’t completely machined off. From my experience, you’d hear it if you had it. ...... My mind is on feet these days, so Brulee and anyone else, any further notes on feet comparisons are welcome.
Jayboard: I checked both sets and they are OK. The only problem is that the sheet metal on the bottom of the CAL player is not completely flat. The cones however when tested on a sheet of glass with a little moisture between are very close. Thanks Brulee, we will wait then for the wild ride.
Then, you might try the poor-man's triplepoints! (There might be a better substitute than double-sided tape, but the tape's not bad. Gives a pleasant golden sheen to the sound -- just BS-ing of course.) It's easy to see, intellectually at least, why the triplepoints, with their guaranteed positive contact and the greatly increased pressure at the small areas of contact, would accomplish better energy transfer.