It's a Soul Thang

My son and I have been on a now extended Soul music kick. Late 60's-mid 70's stuff, after some of the artists evolved from pop, before a lot of artists turned to disco, and way before what is now consider R&B. You know, Al Green, Aretha, Stevie, Gaye, Withers, Billy Paul, Mayfield, Temptations, Spinners..etc. Looking for some of the perhaps less obvious choices that folks enjoy that they'd like to suggest for fleshing out and expanding our collections! Thanks.
4yanx
Be sure to rent the film "Standing in the Shadows of Motown": a tribute to the "Funk Brothers"--the largely unacknowledged studio group that played on literally hundreds of classic hits, while being paid union scale. They literally defined the Motown sound, and it is quite remarkable to witness a small piece of their story. The bass player, James Jamerson, is one of the true masters of his instrument. This music makes my Meadowlark Blue Heron's jump for joy. On occasion, I've been known to join them!
Joe
Here we go 4 (I hope I can be so informal!)

First, my biases. I consider Soul music to have emerged after Doo Wop and before the emergence of Funk. The heyday was through the 60's and 70's.

Also, although I have tons of soul albums with only one or two great tunes, the following recommmendations have great tunes throughout the entire disc.

That being said, my mandatory must have, skip the mortgage payment to get 'em recommendations in the Soul "Male Group" category are:

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes- I Miss You

Creative Source- Creative Source

Delfonics- Super Hits

The Dells- Freedom Means

The Dells- There Is

Stylistics- The Stylists

Stylistics- Round 2

Please stay tuned for nominations in the Soul "Female Vocalist" category.

Michael
Don't forget Donny and Marie. LOL My kids(teenagers) are sold on the Temps. Don't forget the 4 Tops. Archie Bell and the Drells. Stevie Wonder. Rare Earth. Smokey Robinson(early). Jimmy Ruffin
Michael, thanks. We've only two of those you listed, so let the hunting begin!
David and Eric (when saying "4" I look at it as me, my wife, and two sons! So maybe "2" is more appropriate in this case. Ha!)
Nice to see all this "soul searchin" going on!!

I am ashamed of myself for forgetting some of the ones mentioned - I can still remember exactly where I was when I first heard "La La La Means I Love You" by the Delfonics and "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells. If you like soul, ya gotta love "Ooh Ooh Child" by the Five Stairsteps and the early Spinners and Stylistics stuff. "Wake Up Everybody" by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes did get overplayed but it's a great song.

I do admit though that I like to crossover into the funky soul stuff a lot. If you do like Tower of Power, their "Back To Oakland" LP is as good as it gets! "Bump City" the self titled LP and "Urban Renewal" are also top notch!!

Gee, there is so much I am forgetting I think I'll go change my Depends now and take my Metamucil!!!
More to discover