KEF Reference 107/2s + KEF LS50s

Tomorrow I want to try something, and I seek advice about how to implement it. My KEF Reference 107/2 are biwired to Parasound JC 1 mono blocks. I'd like to try substituting a pair of KEF LS50s for the mid and HF drivers of the 107/2s. I propose to disconnect the XLR connections to the mid/HF drivers and connect the biwires that go to those sections to the LS50s. The 107/2s use a KUBE for crossover and equalization, and I propose to continue using that. Does my plan seem feasible?

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
So how did it go?
Since the 107 heads contain their own crossover circuitry (designed to work with the kube) I have to think the crossovers in the LS50 would be a less than ideal pairing.

Not that I would try it, but I am curious how your experiment worked out.
I'm listening to my restored R107/1 as I write, and can't imagine them sounding any better.
I unplugged the XLR connector, lifted the heads, set the LS50s where the heads had been, and connected the mid/HF biwire to the LS50s -- the 107/2s are set up for biwiring. I didn't adjust the KUBE. The combination sounded very good, but the R107/2s are such magnificent sounding speakers I returned the heads.

The idea came to me because much to my surprise the KEF R600C with a Uni-Q similar to that used in the LS50 matches the 107/2s so well for mch and HT.

So the experiment was a success as an experiment, but I too can't imagine the 107/2s sounding any better.

db
Steve, so do I.  I've replaced the R600C with a Reference 204/2C designed for Reference 207/2s, but it blends seamlessly with the 107/2s.

db
How does the R600c work with the Reference speakers? I’m considering a set of Reference 1s but I’m not sure I want to go with a Reference center. So I am considering an R600c.
In my experience, the R600C had a lower mid-bass emphasis that I found annoying and resulted in their not blending well with the Reference 107/2s.  I'd save for the reference center designed to match the Reference 1s, but you might try an R200C while you save then sell it when you've saved enough.

(The 204/2C is a monster at 3.5' wide, 100 pounds, expensive when you can find one, but it totally disappears in the soundstage, and that's what you want.)

db
Dear Mr. Grubb, please give us a call, we talked once about a dac I do believe. Anyway here is an answer to your Ref 1 question, we also have a demo pair of Kef 1 and 3 that might interest you.

Actually the Ref 600C does sound quite good with the Ref 1, or the Ref 3 or Ref 5

We have an all Kef Reference theater using the Kef Ref 3, before we had upgraded to the matching Reference center we were using the R series center.

The R series center is not quite as clear or as uncolored but the blend was very good and the R series center does sound excellent. The Reference center is wamer and more precise and images better and if you compare the two the Reference center is indeed a great step up, we had our Ref 3 with the R series for almost a year before we upgraded.

As per the older Kef 207.2, 205.2, 203.2 201.2 and the newer R series different story, the older Kef 200 series had a more rich midrange the newer models are cleaner hence the match wasn’t good.

https://www.facebook.com/audiodoctor1/photos/a.813391035400778.1073741830.122499304489958/1774439705...

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ