Lamm M 1.2 against Tenor 300 and Boulder 2060

I own a system based on Avalon eidolon with Halcro electronics,EMM labs and NBS black label and Kharma enigma cables.

I´m insterested to change the electronics for the a hybrid amp, as Tenor 300 or Lamm M 1.2 or for the Boulder 2060.

I will be pleased if you can help me, almost I´m interested about to know how compares the Lamm M 1.2 and the Tenor 300, also one important consideration for me is the relation price/sound quality, the Lamm seems to be less expensive, around 40% than the Tenor.

I demoed the Boulder, sounds well, but not much much different or in another league than my Halcros, which is your opinion?.

Finally which preamp do you think I will need to be used with Lamm M1.2 or Tenor 300, new CJ ACT2? Aesthetix? Wyetech? CTC? Connoisseur? Lamm?

Thanks to all for your advice.
batiportbf80
Dear Saxman2: I understand your points, but the issue it is still the same and it is not the only one: a tube electronic item is a: signal generator ( by itself ): when the signal goes through a tube ( by the physics law ) this tube ( that item )generate harmonics that don't exist in the recording and the problem is that these harmonics are at a hearing level. So, the tubes function like an equalizers ( in some conditions ) and always works like signal generators producing a signal that is inexistent in the recording . So, what is all about it?, in this forum the people speak about music and the reproduction through an audio system and when they have tube electronics: of what sound they are talking? obviusly not a music sound reproduction.
If for you or for other people these issues does not make sense, it is ok. Any one can do ( like you ) what it wants. I only expose those issues that are extremly important in the sound reproduction through tube electronics and that goes against the music, but WHO CARES?
Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Mr. Raul, I am left confused by your comments. I know little about the physics of tube and solid state devices, but does not current run through every component within a piece of equipment? And if so, does not each component, whether it be a capacitor, transformer or electron tube not have it's own signature? And if not, does every solid state, by virtue of it's being solid state, sound identical and therefore, equally accurate?

I have enjoyed both solid state and tube equipment with each giving a facsimile of recorded instruments or voices, but never have I heard a system reproduce the live sound I experience when attending a live performance. Solid state may offer a so-called quicker, more accurate, less colored interpretation, but seldom have I heard it carry the body and weight that has accompanied some excellent tube components. In my experience the best of tubes display a huge soundstage, a rounder and fuller image, and a most life-like decay. Bells and string instruments can have a body much closer to the real thing. I do not intend to prescribe one philosophy over the other, since I find both a distance from the real thing.

Incidently, I have heard some solid state amp designs with a softer more tube-like presentation, and contrarily tube systems sound hard and edgy. So much of this may depend on system synergy and specific tastes. I am usually not fond of analogies, but when viewing an artist's portrait, it may never carry the accuracy of a photograph, and yet it often offers something more approachable. Trust your ears. This is not relegated to a mere science.
Dear Steve: I'm not talking about science, I'm talking about music reproduction. Yes, I agree with you that at home all of our audio system are very far from the live music and that we only have a facsimile of it.
But the issue is: that we want that the sound reproduction was accurate to the recording, if not then what is all about?.
As you told us: " the solid state may offer a so-called quiker, more ACCURATE, less colored interpretation,...". I think that these is what we are looking for. The " huge soundstage " and " fuller image " depends of many things: the recording, speakers, front-end, room cables,.... BTW, when I go to a concert hall to hear any interpretation of this music art, I go not for " to see the soundstage ", " the inner deatil ", " the focus ", etc..., I go for listen the whole thing that named: MUSIC, that's all. The same happen when I go to a jazz club ( night club ): who cares ( in a live event ) about: soundstage or image ?.
Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
I am biased. I have a Boulder 2050 system (the monoblocks). I have listened to the Halcro's, the big ARC's, the VTLs, ML mono's and others. When you get up into this territory of performance, the weakest link in the system will STANDOUT. In order to properly audition and compare gear like this, the speakers, interconnects, line power, room acoustics, pre-amp (like a Boulder), and source components all have to be at the same elevated level of performance. Differences between speakers or interconnects (and eveything else) become simple to hear. With amplifiers/systems so neutral and quiet, it is much easier to hear the worst component in the system (which in systems like this is frequently the room itself).

I would like to comment on the Lamm and Tenor, but have never heard them. My understanding is that their designers chose their own design criteria, and have produced very compelling products.

I guess my point is that the exact circumstances of the audition are as important as actually performing an audition.