Lifespan of a quality solid state amplifier?

What is the expected lifespan of a quality solid state amplifier (Krell, Mark Levinson, Anthem, Bryton, Pass Labs)? Is their any maintenance that can be performed to extend the lifespan of one of these amps?

Regards,
Fernando
128x128fgm4275
Filter capacitors have a half life of about 20 years. What that means is that in a 20 year period, about half of the caps will have failed. This is true of transistor and tube amps.

Sometimes when the cap fails the ESR goes up like Kijanki was talking about, you can also have the experience of the cap slowly loosing its capacitance. This may not result in the hum that is commonly associated with filter cap failure, but it will impose sonic degradation as the power supply is no longer properly bypassed. This can increase distortion and affect bandwidth, things that you may not notice over time but would certainly show up on the bench.

So in general, by the time a piece is 15 years old, there will be some degradation or outright failure, by the time 20 years has passed the chances of that are 50/50. This will be true even if the unit has been in continuous use, although such pieces in general do have the caps last longer, that's not the same as saying they actually still meet spec!

Ralph, can you back that up with some references?

Curious where you got 1/2 fail in 20 years.

Even if true, given that the lifetime of a particular cap is inversely proportional to operating voltage and temperature I fail to see how this is useful for predicting the lifetime in any particular piece of equipment.

BTW that is not the definition of half life.

Just checked 50y.o. HH Scott 222c filter caps and both only lost 16% of capacity.
That makes me think of weather to replace the original or keep it. Replacing the original might require some chassis cutting for the new fitting and near $50 per piece.
Herman, that is the correct use of 'half life' in this case. This is what they teach you in technical school. I have seen it borne out many times in the last 40 years.