Love for music shatter by highend equipment

Music is life, I rather be blind then deaf. It's pretty sad when I realize that my love for music was shatter by high-end equipment. I have friends that refuse to listen to music because it’s not coming from a high-end system. It’s ridiculous that throw away CDs because the record is not to their standard and they won't listen to it. As a result they listen to only a few CD over and over..and over..... They don't listen to the radio. They don't listen to the stereo in their car. What is going on, could it be the mind playing tricks. After all we are spending $50,000 on a system, and it could make us forget that, "Its all about listening to the music". I have to admit, this high end world is an enigma..

Danny
trandanny820
So so well put.I am sure you have kicked many a AUDIO SNOB in the Mid drift. I wonder if any of them actually get it.
I rarely buy CDs for people as gifts because I think the sound is terrible on most people's mediocre CD players. I would rather buy them tapes. I only buy CDs for myself but it's taken me over a decade to build a CD-based system that I like.
In a strange work vector some 20 years ago, I was a salesman in a high-end audio shop. I enjoyed designing systems for intelligent people who wanted good musical reproduction. But I absolutely detested tweak-heads who wanted to A-B different brands of high quality speaker wire.

After some years, the conclusion I came to was that some people are never happy unless they are constantly switching equipment -- and those people will die unsatisifed with their system. The happy people are those who buy a good system and just listen to it, not worrying about the next great amplifier to hit the market.

Moreover, I think there is a distinct dividing line between those who love music and those who love gear. The former will enjoy the audiophile experience; the latter will be tortured by it.
How true, I had been caught up in the later. Then I was set free. I now spend all my money on Music.
My music collection has mushroomed and I enjoy my system fully not worrying about this and that wire or this and that tweak.
In trying to get more people free of this I sometimes may come on a little in your face as I have been told.
Bottom line is.
Key to Audio succes.
1 Never ever read a Review.
2 only buy gear you can listen to in your system.
3 Spend your money on Music
4 Let your ears choose your gear.
Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Just like the person who owns a Ferrari but will never race it or test it's driving capabilities, some people prefer the equipment over the music. Audio equipment has an appeal outside of its ability to respoduce music. Great enginering design, works of visual art, great conversation pieces, status symbols, etc. Who's to say that these characteristics are any less important than a piece of equipment's ability to respoduce music?

I happen to own a 1980's vintage Yamaha B-6 power amplifier just becuase of the way it looks. I don't listen to it, I just look at it. Suits me fine.

There are my two cents and my humble opinion.