Low level Hum in Phono Signal Path

There is a distinct low level hum noise evident through my speakers when the phono mode is on. Can't be heard from the seating area but can be heard when your ear is in front of the speaker, either side. This noise is also dependent on the volume; the higher the volume the louder the noise. What is causing this noise and can it be remedied. (Equipment involved: BAT PK 5 phono preamp, Transrotor turntable with Benz Micro Ruby 3H cartridge)
frepec
"This noise is also dependent on the volume; the higher the volume the louder the noise"

Now thats a revelation. Harvard grad?

Bob
Try grounding preamp to center screw in AC outlet, that sometimes works. You can also try lifting the ground by using a cheater plug. If you try the latter a further step having nothing to do with hum is to ground down or file off the bigger prong so it can be inserted either way. One way usually sounds better than the other.
If you are using a tube power amp, there may be hum originating from the amp or the tubes. Also, as mentioned above, definitely check the polarity of each component, and interconnects. Cable quality and placement are also important. There may be a ground loop. I was able to get rid of one source of hum with using a battery phono preamp. Good luck!
Sounds like a potential grounding problem. If your tonearm interconnect has a ground wire, connect it to the ground screw (or a chassis screw if the pre doesn't have a dedicated ground screw). Then, get a ground lift plug and put it on the AC cable of your Power amp. Leave the ground on your preamp AC plug intact. Try that and see what effect it has. I've found more than once that leaving the Preamp grounded and lifting the ground on your power amp will resolve most grounding and hum problems.
Acoustat6-Yeah, nice. The guy's trying to explain, in detail, his issue, and he's mocked for his efforts.

I'll assume you're a Community College graduate, so I'll explain this like I'm talking to a six year old: believe it or not, there are 'hum' issues that are steady-state, with no volume differential dependent on gain. Hence, the OP's clarification.

Hope that helps...