magnepan 1.6 needs help in the bass

i'm begiinning to believe that the amgnepan 1.6 needs some assistance in the bass, i.e., more extension.

i am concerned that mating a cone, especially ported or sealed box is a problem as far as maintaining overall coherency.

also, it may be necessary to have stereo rather than mono sub, which can get expensive.

i have thought about rel, hsu and kharma ?

i also thought about the best way to configure the sub, namely blending. i would run the 1.6s full range and then add bass up to say 60 hz.

any thoughts ?
mrtennis
Rel Strata III.....excellent match for Magnepan 1.6's.
I've used a pair in a large room with 1.6's.
A non-philosophical post?
Mr. Tennis you disappoint.

The ML Depth is a big bang for the buck and should you use its high pass filter into your maggies I think that it would blend well with minimal veiling of the music. Stereo Depths are killer but in a small to med size room one should be sufficient.

Good luck!
Mr Tennis - I have the Maggie 3.6R's and have found ( after much experimentation, I might add) that you want to go with a sealed box sub, otherwise the bass lags behind the planar midrange too much. I use the Revel B12 Concerta with a short all silver(for speed) sub cable. My speaker cables/interconnects to the amps are a combioned 14 ft, so this also helps with the "speed" issue. The Concerta B12 is perfect with the planars and I would think one would do it for you. I am in a large room, so I needed two of them. The price is right as well - at $995.oo, these are VERY good subs, with a parametric equalizer as a bonus. I have heard teh Rels work as well, but I can tell you that the Hsu Research subs do not blend in well with the planars - I tried a VTF3 and it was WAY too slow. I hope this helps. John
Which ever sub you decide to go with, 60 Hz might be too high for the xover point. In my old largish room, the 1.6s were flat to 40 Hz. If I were you I would run them full range and bring the sub in around 30-35.

Oz