Magnepan 1.7 crossover capacitor improvement?

In my never ending quest to eliminate "glare" from all components I've recently realized that my MG 1.7's are a contributor. The crossover caps in them are nothing to write home about, a mixture of non descript caps including an Axon totaling 116.8uf in the mid range and an additional 10uf Axon for the tweeter. Since Axon is basically Solens which does have glare issues, I'm ready to move on. After snooping aroud it sounds like a mixture of Clarity ESA series/ 250V + Mundorf supreme replacements in the mid range and Mundorf Supreme for the tweeter would be a good choice. But i'm curious if someone here has already trod this path and found a different path thats reasonably affordable ( not Duelends and Vcaps...grin)
At this point I have glare about 95% tamed but there are still certain CD passages that cause that chalk board scraping sensation.
128x128davide256
What is the rest of your system? What cables are u using? How close are the 1.7's placed to rear wall and side walls?
Silver is right...what else you using?

That being said...the development of the LSA Statment Loudspeakers was a primer on 'how to' improve.
I think back on the old statement....'Everything matters...makes a difference.'
To the extent, Kevin Hayes an old friend puts, not only upgraded wire in his designs (preamps for example), but uses different types in different locations.
It's not as if there's a manual that says, OK, use X wire between this and that, then Y wire near the power supply, etc.
It's trial and error Davide.
Certainly changing the caps to better quality will allow you to hear more, have greater musicality from your system.
To help us...let us know what you're using...we'll be nice...putting a system together that sounds just right is an adventure...at least it always has been for me.

Let us hear from you.

Larry
the virtual system "return on the dollar" is mine and up to date. Speaker placement is 3-4 feet away from back wall, but reversed since the magnets on the front panel create a Fresnel lens effect limiting off axis imaging.
After mulling it over, the large capacitance value for the midrange and up makes it pretty hard to find an affordable option that also fits in the allowed footprint. There are basically 4 caps; 6,8uf, 10uf ,25uf and 75uf. The 10uf (GC ?) and 25uf(Axon)look pretty respectable in construction, the other 2 (Erse and no name)look suspect.
So I'm taking a first stab by replacing the 6.8 Erse with a Mundorf Supreme and the 75uf value with an Axon, ordered today and hopefully in my hands by end of month. If this isn't satisfactory I may have to consider creating/wiring an outboard crossover as the better caps want more space than is possible with the stock configuration.
One cap at a time. I think the cap last in line before it goes to the mid panel is a 6.8 Axon. That is the cap u might try first. A safe bet would be to try a Sonicap. They are very neutral, fast and provide very good resolution at a reasonable price. The last cap in the parallel connection is quite influential on the sound. That may do the trick.

As for the tweeter cap, I would bite the bullet and get a Mundorf Silver Oil. It is expensive but I believe u will end up with a speaker that will compete with just about anything out there.

Do it once. Do it right.

Please remember though, a well done Maggie 1.7 can't help a shitty source, weak amplification and crappy cables. Everything should be up to the task before you season to taste.
I forgot to ask. How hard is it to get the sock off of the 1.7's without destroying it? I want to change out the inductor and a few caps myself but I don't want to trash the speakers sock in the process.

Thanks in advance.

Joe