Music for "Tough Times"

When you're feeling lousy, or maybe just had a tough day, what one LP, CD, tape, etc. do you play to make you feel better? In my case it's Cowboy Junkies CD "The Caution Horses". Margo Timmins voice is at once soft and soothing, but also haunting and immediate. This is music that I can get lost in. What music do others use on occasions like this?
garfish
Depends on my mood, and what is stressing me. The ones that come to mind are Daniel Lanois, "Acadia," Bjork, "Debut," or Red Garland, "Steppin' Out." These are very different from one other, but each have the creative energy to move me.
Well now Craig, this is something I'm a true expert at. When I was told I'd only live another 12 months max. (4 years ago) I was as far down as I want to experience. I found music and prozac to be quite helpful. My selections tended to be rather dark in nature, geeze I wonder why. I listened to Sheryl Crow "Tuesday Night Music Club" (yea I know, a real audiophile favorite) but only three songs, over and over and over... That might be a sign of some sort of depression, but don't quote me on that. The three were "No One Said It Would Be Easy", "We Do What We Can" and "I Shall Believe" each is about 5 1/2 minutes. "I Shall Believe" I could listen to 100 times when I'm down. My other disks included Rosanna Cash "10 Song Demo", Siri's Svale Band "Blackbird", an old stand-by Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks" and anything Cowboy Junkies. My new addition and the disk for all occasions, Patricia Barber "Café Blue" Sorry all you who are totally sick of Ms. Barber, but she always works for me! Well Craig, that's my list, great question and thanks for listening. I would guess from my two years in the Pacific Northwest that right about now you are looking for what ever you can to get rid of the rainy day blues. Stay well, J.D.
Hmmm... Dvorzak's New World Symphony, Handel's Water Music, Beethoven's 9th and 1812 overture do the job for me if I am trying to feel better...

And sometimes, I'm just so down and gloomy that Urban Hymns by the Verve, The Man Who by Travis (Specially the second half) and the track Sarajevo from Yo Yo Ma's Solo keep me in that down mood.

But, now that I finally quit my job, I bet I will not have too many more of these depressed days ahead of me...
jadem6: wow, talk about a heavy heart. how can anybody else but you possibly understand? tell ya what: i'm gonna' go listen to sheryl's "tues. night" right now in the hope it'll get you, and maybe even me, through the next 4X10 years. keep on truckin'. -kelly