My first real hi-end audio system Please advise

Hi, this is my first post and I've just started to really get into the wonderful world of Hi-Fi audio. I'm a student at U of IL and live in a small apartment.

My father is upgrading his system and to my pleasant surprise decided to give me ALL of his audio equipments!!! I'm ridiculously excited since his equipments, although mostly 10 years old, are awesome. They include McIntosh (MC7300, C40, MCD7008, and MR7083) and a pair of 2 year old Revel M20 speakers.

The question I had was, would these gorgeous speakers sound as good in my apartment room? (about 10ft x 14ft)

I'm also thinking about selling all of the system but the speakers, and buying a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver, 3 more speakers and a subwoofer for a 5.1 system. Now, I don't have much $$$ as I'm a student, and I can't quite ask my parents for more audio equipments... I was wondering if 3 Aperion (aperionaudio.com) bookshelf speakers and a Sunfire True superjunior subwoofer would complement the Revel M20s well.

I know the sunfire receiver and the subwoofer aren't cheap for my standards, but I've done some research, and I think they'll last me a long long time and be a great entry system to the real hi-end audio world for me. As for the Aperion speakers, which I intend on using for center and surround speakers, they are only $180 each and have been receiving awesome reviews.

Has anyone tried these Aperion bookshelf speakers, sunfire ultimate receiver and the little subwoofer? Would you recommend any other system combinations for this price range? Oh, I almost forgot, can anyone also recommend a good DVD player for around $1000 or should I just connect my Apple G5 computer to the receiver? Would the computer's audio quality be a lot worse than a $1000 DVD/CD player?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm just excited and giddy that I'll be able to treat my ears to some really good sound while I'm at school!

Thank you in advance
seongoh9f94
Don't sell the Mac gear! It'd make me cry. Movies with a high end 2 channel + sub setup are SO MUCH better than a medicore 5.1 setup, and there's NO WAY you could put together a 5.1 setup sounding decent in that small of a room, and even if you did have the room, it'd cost you more than $10,000 to do it right.

-Todd
I hate MAC...i think it is butt ass ugly and would never want it in my living room...but that is just my opinion...but I have to agree with ALL the other posts that are against wat you are doing. KEEP THE MAC!!! KEEP THE MAC!!! KEEP THE MAC!!!
I agree with most of the other posters. The Revel speakers should be a good match for that sized room and you can add a sub-woofer for more low end and movie effects. *I* wouldn't try to do surround in that sized room, but that's me and I am not a big surround fan. Been there, done that. I had a great surround set-up as part of my music system and I ended up separating it out and putting it in another room. If anyone can name me more than 10 movies that even *require* a surround system, I'd be surprised -- and most of the ones that do -- it is only for a few minutes here and there. So, you get a surround system for parts of about 10 movies -- and they tend to be movies I wouldn't be watching unless I want to show off my surround system.
You end up watching the Pod Race from Star Wars any time someone new comes over. It is ironic to me that people are waiting on SACD because there are only some 2,000 titles available, but then go for home theater surround systems when there are only a few movies that actually use surround. You'll be spending all your time putting your ears up to the rear surrounds wondering if you calibrated your system correctly because there's hardly ever anything coming out of them. A 2.1 system is just fine for movies. Finally, a receiver *is* a big step backwards in sonics. So, you'd be sacrificing sonics on 100% of your music listening in order to watch the pod race from Star Wars over and over. Okay, I am exaggerating a little, but not by much. Keep the gear, add a sub-woofer. Put the surround money into a good sub-woofer, a cheap one is fine for movies, but will sound like crap for music. Just my opinion.
Wow, thank you everyone for your inputs. I didn't expect to receive this many feedbacks in such a short time. It seems that I have underestimated my father's 10-year-old equipments.

I certainly will not be selling the MC7300 power amplifier now and will keep the system at 2.1 set up. My question now is, since I will mostly be listening from my (hehe "my") MCD7008 CD player only, do I need the C40 preamp or will it sound the same to just plug it directly into the amplifier?

Also, If I do sell just the C40 and MR7083 (I don't listen to radio much), what do you recommend as a good subwoofer to match the Revel M20s? I know the Revel B15s are awesome and will blend in well sonically and visually, but that thing is too big for my small room and quite out of my budget range. Somewhere around $1000-$2000 would fit my wallet a little easier.

Oh, I forgot who asked, but my father is upgrading his speakers to a pair of Revel F50a front speakers, a C50a center speaker, a pair of S30a surround speakers and a B15 subwoofer. For the preamp and poweramp, he's upgrading to Lexicon MC-12 pre-pro and LX-7 power amp. He actually hasn't actually swiped his credit card yet and this new system will cost more than his current car, so if anyone has a strong feeling against this upgrade, please tell me ASAP.

Once again, thank you everyone for your input and this is by far the best hi-end audio forum I have seen or heard!

Spacekadet
I think I can hear the audible collective sighs of relief from other audiophiles around me as well!

I don't think you will regret your decision to keep and enjoy the fine quality components you are being blessed with.

As for the matching with subwoofer, I am not well versed in the area, and will refrain to let others that have the knowledge give you advice.

Again, congrats on a good decision to retain some great gear. You may want to look into Eighth Nerve products and drop a couple hundred bucks on room treatment for your small room and most likely that system will put an ear to ear grin on your face.

Happy listening!