Need advice with a phono stage for my BAT VK-50...

I need a phone stage for my BAT pre-amp, the VK-50. I've never had a phono stage for this pre-amp and I have a few questions. (Please excuse my total lack of sophistication with this subject.)

My turntable is a VPI HW-19, MK 3. I don't want to spend alot on this, up to $1000 maximum and preowned is fine. I don't collect vinyl anymore but I do have about 100 records (Dad, what's a record?) that I'd like to play. My questions:

1) What's a decent p/s to purchase that would pair well with these components?
2) Does this have to be installed into the pre-amp, or is it a separate component that merely requires interconnects?
3) What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your help.
dennisb
Contact Lloyd Walker at 610-666-6087.He has a modified AHT unit.Very quiet,throws a huge soundstage.It will accept cartridges down to .2mv.His reputation for good sound proceeds him and he is very helpful.
FYI, the VK50 won't take BAT's phono cards. It's only for their other preamps, not the 50, 50se or 51se.

I had a VK50se now it's a 51se. I've used a BAT VKp5, p10, p10se (have now) as well as a Aestheitix Rhea. For the money, the BAT VKp5 is a steal. It's the price performer in the phono stage lineup from BAT. You can find them used for around 1200. Slightly more than your budget. Most medium output moving coils (.5 mv or so) will do awesome. Of course, so will MM. The BAT will have a super midrange, pretty much shares every trait you likely love about your vk50.

If you cartridge is that old, it's time for a new one.

WARNING. Be prepared. With your table, a new cartridge and a VKp5, you might seriously get into vinyl. If you can somehow swing the p5 and good cartrdge-you'll be in heaven.

Good luck
Jfrech,
How would you compare the P10se to the Rhea? Which one do you like best?
Jfrech and Dennisb,

I will second Jfrech's statement about there not being a phono card available for the vk50's and 51's. I also have VK50se and I am currently using an EAR 834P phono stage and they work very well together, however I am starting to look at upgrading the phono stage for reasons I will explain below.

Another point to consider is that the 50's and 51's are balanced inputs only, so it might be worth limiting your choices to phono stages that have balanced outputs, assuming that the phono stage in question is truly balanced. I am having to use a balanced-to-s/e adapter with the 834 and I do wonder how much potential there is waiting to be tapped by moving to an all balanced system. Of course, balanced equipment will drive the price up a bit.
Sidssp: The Rhea has much wider stage, little better depth, better detail. Everything else equal. I could go on, but that's the net. I think I like the Rhea better, but I think I'll hold off and go for a Io Sig one day soon (I hope)! If I go with a Koetsu, I think the Rhea or Io is a must...the Rhea does have more gain (w/o using transformers)...however my Lyra Helicon at .5mv works super with the BAT directs to the tubes.