new gear vs used gear

another thread got me thinking about this,how much of your current rig was bought new & how much of it was bought here on audiogon or ebay.

out of the 14 seperate pcs of gear im currently running 12 were bought on audiogon & 2 were bought at a dealer.

this isnt a dealer bashing thread i was just curious as to the numbers & why you choose to buy used or new.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
If I see a piece, used, that I'm looking for, I'll buy it if it's in great shape. However i just bought a new universal player for less than the used ones here on Agon. Hope it's as good as the reviews.
my reasons for buying used gear are purely financial, im with marakantez in that i believe most new gear is over priced atleast within the mcintosh line that i use.

when i decided to buy a mcintosh mc2102 i went with new beacuse im new to tubes & the warranty & support from the dealer were important to me.

one thing i have found out from the dealer i use is that dealer mark ups are right around 45% within the mcintosh line & he sold me the mc2102 cheaper than used models advertised here on agon.

as long as i feel good about the seller & the gear is in great shape ill always buy most of my gear used.

mike.
Throughout the last 30+ yrs. of buying audio, I've kept new pieces longer but have had more used pieces. Buying used just makes it easier to try different gear & not lose big $$$ when it doesn't work out.

I currently have 3 new pieces, those being spkrs. that are 2.5 yrs. old, an isolation piece I just got last week & a phono pre I picked up yesterday. All my other gear is used and the cables are a combination of new, demo & DIY.
100% used...or, if I used Nrchy's methods, somewhere around 178% used. 100% Audiogon. Nothing from eBay. I used to like eBay back in the late 90's, but now you'd better be wearing protection when you trade there or you risk a nasty case of the Clap! Wait a minute, I did get some tubes on eBay. Come to think of it, that's when that burning sensation started!

Marco
Gunbei...you BROKE a friggen pair of cables?!?! How does one do that? I thought FedexGround were the only ones capable of such things?!

Marco