New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
@monkandmozart. Why the dissection of the Reference 8?? Why not? I think the most important aspect of a component is how it Sounds. And I thought there might be some who would like an opinion on how the Ref 8 sounds. Otherwise, we can just all sit around and chat about bits and microchips.

Thank You for the update- elizabeth

the DVD-A10 is still a cool spinner. Keep us posted once the SA-10 arrives and is massaged into your system.

Happy Listening!

Thank You guys for the information on Mohican, Primare CD35, Bryston BCD-3 and ARC CD8 spinners. I have not auditioned any of these newer players to date. I have demo'ed the ARC CD5, CD7, CD9 and Primare CD22.  Keep writing about the players as above.

Happy Listening!

An omission (mea culpa).  I am reminded that the Simaudio Neo 260D at 3K is another direct competitor to the Bryston, Hegel, and Primare.