New or used cartridge

I have have good experiences buying a previously owned cart in the past, but have heard several telling me to buy new..  I wish there was a way, to tell how many hours was on a used cart.  Other than putting the cantilever under a microscope,  I see no way concerning the hours/use/condition of a used cart..  I kinda look at it as buying a used car.  Let someone else take the initial "hit". then buy from them, as they're moving over or up.  I have an excellent Koetsu Urushi Black I'm going to put up for sale.  I love it's sound, but am wanting to move up the ladder so to speak.
Please give me opinions concerning this.
handymann
Cost/benefit ratio is very, very low when you hit the stratosphere of cartridges. I'd be very reluctant to sell your existing cartridge until you audition, or if necessary buy the new one and listen to it.  You may find that you've already attained a sufficient dose of audio nirvana!

I have an original Sugano era hand made Urushi and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If you want to improve the system - why not look at other areas - what phono stage you have etc.?
wspohn:

I have fairly decent hardware.  I have an Aesthetix Rhea Signature phono, an Aesthetix Calypso Signature linestage going into a couple of Krell 600 monoblocks.  I have a Dynavector DRT XV-1s I really like, as well as my Urushi Black.  I have the Urushi mounted on a 1974 Pioneer PL-71.  I had trouble at first, but after talking to Koetsu, I found out my problem was with tonearm mass.  It may sound getto, but I installed a thin strip of Dynamat along the arm itself, with a cut of refrigeration permagum on the headshell, then balanced the tonearm out. It made the difference between night and day.  I've had SO many tell me there's just no way, my Pioneer can sound anywhere close to my VPI, but it does. I'm getting ready to install the Koetsu on my VPI Scoutmaster, to see how that sounds.  I love both carts, just thought of maybe trying something new.  Historically, I'm not one of these people who is constantly changing their equipment.  I put some very low noise tubes in my Rhea and they really brought my noise floor down on my phono preamp.  I really like my sound and it's very articulate, with good soundstage and imaging.  I built a modified QRD-13 that is flush with my front wall.  Being 20" deep, it really helped broaden my imaging.  My Rhea has several stages of gain and I run both carts on 62, which leaves me plenty of room for a lower output cart.  I considered buying a SUT, but don't feel I need it.  Wish I had one to try, without actually buying it.  I found I can purchase a new Koetsu direct from Japan, at a significant savings.  At this point, I may just stick with what I have.  I live in the Nashville Tennessee  area and there's only one high end store I'm familiar with and they don't carry Koetsu.  I'm always appreciative of any comments or suggestions.

Steve
To add a tip when it comes to hours on used carts: the internet doesn't forget, you Google a used cart you are interested in with a claimed number of hours and you find an old advert of the same cart with more hours logged. Go figure
You can reset the hour counter with a rebuild or retip, but sellers should of course state the approximate date of last rebuild/retip too (and who performed it).