New2Analog - Table Setup Help?

After 25+ years of CDs and such, I bought my first turntable last week. A Denon DP300F, with a built-in phono preamp. I have put it into my system, and have dome some A - B comparison, and critical listening.

Here is my problem:
I am lacking in the upper octave of all music.
No Air (Which I lust for from Vinyl).
Heavy bass and midrange
Midrange will nearly distort it is so heavy

The table is set per the factory directions, but I am not sure where to start to fix these issues.

Any suggestions?

Jeff in Detroit
jbryngelson
Michael Fremer of Stereophile has a DVD on turntable set up. It might be a good investment in terms of understanding how all these issues interact. Setting up a table is an iterative process. For example, many are finding that very precise cartridge alignment allows for lower than typical VTF, which allows for v. low or no anti-skating.

Its very common for TTs to be set up incorrectly, so verify that its been done right and also purchase a 10x loupe so you can see the stylus and make sure its clean. Search the forum for "magic eraser" to find how to make a very good stylus cleaning tool for very low $. If its still not clean as a whistle, try using a v thin strip of fine grit sandpaper and gently swiping the stylus surfaces, followed by more magic eraser and then dry brushing.
CD - Does not sound as open and airy as I would like, which is why I am putting my toe into the Vinyl world. However, at the moment, CD sounds better than the Vinyl for all the reasons listed in my original post.

Cleaning a Stylus with SANDPAPER. Now that sounds nuts. I hear dust in the grooves of records can mess up a stylus, so why would you take 400 or 600 grit (very very fine) sandpaper to a stylus (which happens to be nearly brand new)?

I think I will have to get the DVD, and some coaching from my analog friend.

Thanks Guys! I am still hopefull that I will like it when I am done tweaking.
I may get flammed for this but the emperor has no clothes.
It does sound like some setup issues. Setup is critical for proper performance, do what you can there to get the best out of that table. That being said I doubt that table with that phono and cartridge can yield the results your seeking. It won't even be able to match an entry level CD player. What I fear then might happen is you will get disappointed and give up on analog. Unfortunately the price of admission for wonderful analog (airy, etc) sound is a bit steeper than the cost of that table. With this table you can become familiar with setup and do more research before deciding how best procede.
Some wonderful 'Gonner posted this link a while back on TT set-up and I think it has a lot of smart info. I've been tossing the link around a bit and will here also.

TT Set-up

Hope this helps!
We will see, as I am taking this inexpensive entry table to a very seasoned analog guy, and putting it in his system, for proper setup, and comparison to CD and his table. If you are correct, and I need to spend $1000+ to get a good initial setup, when buying from the gon, then I may choose to not step too far into the Analog pool.

From what I have heard, this table should give me some of the benefits of Analog/Vinyl, but as stated a couple times, I am sure there is something wrong. We are getting clearly distorted music. Once that is corrected, I will make some decisions.