Newbie que on "recommended amplifier" rating

I currently have 4 Vienna Acoustics Bachs which, on Vienna's website, have an amplification recommendation of 30-200w. I am currently looking for an amp/pre to replace my very sad Onkyo receiver. I listen to 95%music and 5%home theater, but I really enjoy multichannel SACD and DVD-audio so I am looking for 5 channel amps like theta, simaudio and EAD. I like the pm 2000 for the money but it is rated at 400w into 8ohms and my Bach's are 6ohms so they would be seeing even more than that. In fact, even the theta and sim audio, which are 200w @8ohms would be above the recommended amplification into 6ohms. I want an amp that I can "grow into" (i.e. works with my next set of speakers) as well, not one tailored to Bach's specifically.
My long winded question is: Will these amps damage my speakers and, if not, where do these recommended amplifier ratings come from?
ultraviolet
I agree. You can never have too much "clean" power. 1 watt of distortion will do more damage than 200 clean watts. 1 thing you haven't looked at: Even though your speakers are 6 ohm which would increase the amp power (except with tube gear) to probably 1.25 or 1.5 to 1, what about efficiency......
A 94 db speaker will be louder at 45 watts than an 87 db speaker with 200 watts driving it! Here's the math:
3db gain by doubling the power
10db gain gives percieved doubling of volume
ie... 1 watt at 87 db = 2 watts to give you 90db, 4 watts are needed for 93db, 8 watts for 96db, 16 for 99, 32 for 102, 64 for 105, 128 for 108, 256 for 111db-THX requires 110db capability if I'm correct.
Most manufacturers recommendations are based upon a standard 8 Ohm rating of solid state amps. While I don't condone this, I'm sure they are just trying to keep it simple. Unless your speaker manufacturer is unique and more specific, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. In fact, you can raise the power by the scale so kindly supplied above, to better meet your needs.
Thanks Sean. Yes that is what I meant to say. If only my co-workers would leave me alone at work, I probably wouldn't lose my train of.

Regards,
John

D@mn! It happened again! I probably wouldn't lose my train of thought. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH CLEAN POWER.