Newbie Question

I am just starting out in the hi-fi realm and would very much appreciate the advice of some more seasoned audiophiles. The system that I am contemplating would be as follows.

Denon AVR 2803
Denon DVD-1200 (question on this below)
Paradigm Mini Monitors for the fronts
Paradigm CC-370 for the center channel
Paradigm Titans for the surrounds (question on this below)
Paradigm PS-1000 for the Sub

Some questions I've been grappling with:
1) Given the current (and anticipated near-term) availability of SACD's, does it make sense to spend an extra $200 to step up to the Denon DVD-2200?

2) Because my couch is right up against the wall, I have been advised to go with a directional speaker like the Titan instead of Paradigm's recommended di-polars for the surround channels. Does this make sense?

3) Do I need a line conditioner for a system at this budget level? (I plan on purchasing an LCD or plasma TV in the near future.)

4) How does a neophyte such as myself make a sensible choice for cable selection? Can it be as simple as pick a good brand and apply the 10% rule?

Any thoughts on the above questions and on the system in general would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.
ajwise
guerrilla marketing!...what an awsome concept....i picture jim beloushi and dan ackaroyd dressed in black get-ups with ski masks in some dark NYC alley pushing gorrillas on unsuspecting passer-bys....
Of the mass market speakers Paradigm offers some of the better value for your money. Can you do better for the same money? Most definitely.

In your price range I'd check into Epos ELS-3, Monitor Audio B2, Acoustic Energy and consumer direct companies like Ascend Acoustics and Axiom.
Here's my .02

Don't waste your money on items like expensive cable and line conditioners. Use your home's electrical outlet and buy speaker cable at Radio Shack. Honestly, it really is that simple. Anything else is money wasted. Do spend your money on your first thought, an SACD player.

Remember source and speaker are the key, cables and line conditioners aren't IMHO.

Good luck whatever you choose.