Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
"What are in common between these TTs other that are TTs: Denon DP-80/75, Garrads, Kenwood Lo70, Technics SP10s, Sota ones, SME 20s, Michel, Roksans, VPIs, Project, Oracle, Exclusive, Linn, etc, etc, ?"

Some sound good. Some sound REALLY good. And some of them are not so good, IMO. But your point is well taken. Drive technology per se is not the sole determinant of what is going to give one pleasure.

Dear Dover, I would not go so far as to say that "wood" (any kind of wood) cannot make for a good plinth. Just that the laminate used by Denon was not so great, although the way they constructed the DK300 plinth was ahead of its time, I think. These days there are some excellent wood plinths being made and sold, by all accounts. I did not mean to start another "plinth war".
Dear In_shore: For years I used only DD TTs, one of the first I owned was the Pioneer PL-630 and then the Denons.

Someday I discovered Stereophile and through reading there I " learned " that the way to go was: BD TT, so I bought my first BD that was a Micro Seiki 1500 and just when I had on hand I was " impressed " by its build quality and weight I mounted and heard it and I liked.

In those old times my ignorance level was really high and obviously my system had poor performance even I was unaware what distortions really meaned. Were the times where specs on japanese electronics were " impressive " low.

After time I accustomed to the BD signature heavy weight TTs and changed to AS and Micro Seiki 5000.

All these years ( Denons and SP-10s in the closett. ) I learned and I mean really learned and my ignorance level goes lower. I think that 2-3 years ago I thought: hey why not to take a listening to one of SP10s? and that's what I did, at the same time I thought too: why not naked/plinthless? yes why not? and I did it.

The differences for the better ( IMHO ) through sevral tests and time listening the Technics convinced that I was wrong about BD TT and wrong about DD ones.

Today I still own BD TTs because between them permited me to mount 10 tonearms/cartridges at the same time and help Guillermo and I in our tonearm self design.

Weeks ago I decided to test the Denons and now I'm here happy and enjoying music as never before: yes: plinthless fashion.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Raul
When you find the time you will have to copy Halcros arm pod design or dream up something similar.

Either way, running nude or set in a plinth ,whatever anyone chooses they think works best for them, carry on.

Lewm
I think Chris Thornton of Artisan Fidelity should win a prize of sorts for artistic craftsmanship and be recognized for resonate control with his plinths now that he switched to Panzerholz material.

Lastly one table that currently stands out in my collection with all the tables that were mentioned above by Raul is Kenwoods LO7D.

High lighted in a Kenwood ad copy for this statement table outlines an intense engineering focus of select material used in conjunction with a theory of a rigid continuous loop of the Lp, cartridge, arm, platter, motor and bearing,...I think should be interesting read for anyone not familiar with the LO7D.
Finally with the little experience that I have had with other DDs its no longer surprising some are hyper sensitive to what their coupled to.
No wonder for some of you, your DD got a new lease on life performing nude.

Nice post In_shore.
I've never heard a Kenwood LO7D......but apart from all reports on its superb sound.......it gets my vote as one of the most beautiful decks ever designed.
Dear Inshore and Halcro, I dearly love my L07D, and I totally agree with you on the engineering. Those guys were way ahead of their time in designing and building that plinth. And what strikes me about the L07D in action is its inherent dead silence and neutrality and the (for want of a better word) smooth, unintrusive operation of that coreless motor. I even think highly of the tonearm. The only problem with the tonearm is the wiring. I plan to bypass all the internal wiring and the plug at the base of the tonearm, to make a "straight shot" from the cartridge all the way to the phono input. Yet, even with the stock wiring, the Stanton 980LZS on the L07D is a marriage made in audio heaven.