Phono stage for Benz Wood H2

Hi there,

I have a Benz woodbody H2 that I have mounted to a VPI Scout and was wondering what anyone thought would be an appropriate phono stage to matchup with this cart that wouldnt break the bank. Currently I have a NAD PP-2 that I am sure isnt doing this tt/cart combo any justice. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
abruceaudino
This is really excellent information. Thanks for everyones input. As it is now with the stage I have, I really need to crank up the volume, esp on some particular records. I had been operating an ancient Marantz 6300 w/ a Shure M91 cart and recently picked up my current setup here as I started to upgrade my sytem. I will look into the suggestions listed. Obviously, any follow up comments are appreciated. Thanks!
The Wright WPP200c has variable gain control (up to 60 db) without using a step-up. It works equally well with MM as it does with LOMC. The gain control allows you to use it as a stand-alone preamp connecting directly to your amp. It's modest price ($845 new/600 used) belies it's stellar performance. It conjures up an impressive soundstage, and IMO, does so better than the EAR 834P.
I am using the AES PH1 DJH phonostage with a Benz Micro H2 Wood - noise is not an issue! Stopping listening so I can go to bed is!

Chris