Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand

Baranyi
I would suggest that you consider jumping up to the new Cortese if your budget can stand it. Mick has upgraded the Cortese & Grange but left the Syrah alone at this point. The Syrah is beautiful and the Cortese (older version) is heavenly with the right NOS tubes. I just can't imagine what the new Cortese or Grange sound like.

Either the Syrah or Cortese will plaster a major smile on your face that will not fade.

I will be happy to sell my one year old Cortese so I can order the newer Cortese or Grange.
Hi everyone: Any opinions on Vacuumtubes.com as a retailer? Also, would you recommend buying new NOS tubes as opposed to used ones at 50% discount labeled as (used but tested good). For example, a NOS Mullard standard-base 5AR4/GZ34 is listed for $95 while a used one is $45.

By the way, I received my Chardonay back in 8/2002 and its still fitted with all stock tubes. Upon my recent return to this thread I was instantly inspired by posts from folks like Ecclectique, Bwhite & others. I figured it's time to make some adjustments.

Thanks in advance for your tips.
Thanks for the offer. I will consider it but the Cortese seems a little out of price range right now. I also have my heart on the Berning zh-270 right now. Why don't you have your Cortese modified as was offered on the thread by Mick?
Steve the Merlots may excel in most areas but it is the area of bass performance, extension AND definition that I would question their mettle compared to the Berning. This amp is in another league with reference to tube amps in that performance area. Imagine an amp that has the bass, airy upper frequency extension along with the harmonic presentation of the best SET's without being euphonic and you would have the perfect amp. If the Merlots do all that I would love to hear them. Haven't heard an SET do it to date. The Berning only falls a bit short in harmonic realism but it sure isn't a slouch in that area either. It is quite amazing especially tweeked out.
Jewel... My take is that if you can buy good used tubes to try, DO IT. When rolling tubes, you'll want to sample as many as possible. Buying NOS, or NIB tubes is way too expensive - especially if they end up not fitting your tastes.

Once you nail down the best tubes for your system, then you can buy NOS versions... and a few back ups.