Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Yes, he sent me a tracking number. If it gets delayed in customs, the shipping company will contact you.
Got my Chardonnay yesterday, took it out of the box last night and was just amazed. I just sat there for about a hour just looking at it. It is so stunning to look at.
By the time I did some rearanging and got it hooked up it was so late that I just played a couple tracks on a cd.
I just wanted to make sure it worked, but boy did it sound good.
I also was not sure if it inverts phase or not, as my old preamp did. I email Mick and he said it does not, so I have to go staighten out my speaker wires at the amp.
Otherwise so far so good, my only wish is that the manual could be a bit more informative specs wise.
hello Allanblissett,

Glad to hear that you love the Chardonney. Mick's preamps truly are a work of art! The best part is they sound even better than they look.

Enjoy!
has anybody had a chance to hear the new cabernet using dual 6SN7's (2 pair that is) rather than 6SN7/DHT? mick said the new cab design is about $1k cheaper and sounds better. i know it's dumb of me, but i think the DHT version would look better so i'm still leaning in that direction. hopefully somebody has had a chance to hear the new cab. i would appreciate any insight from those in "the know."
kg: I haven't heard the double 6SN7 circuit, but I just got my gold Grange back from Mick with an upgrade of TJ-300B meshplates driven by EH-6SN7's ...all I can say is WOW what a difference!! Extra detail, speed, separation, control in the bass (less bloom), and heaps more clarity and treble extensiion. Plus it retains the 300B midrange magic.

In terms of the sonic differences between the dht 101 and double 6SN7 - you need to trust Mick on this one. If he says the double 6SN7's sounds better then they probably do, the guy is rarely ever wrong on such matters. However, I agree with you that the bulb shaped 101 is a very sexy looking tube!

I've owned the dht TJ-101 Cabernet pre and it did sound excellent. The 101 has a distinct sound, a very pristine presentation with a hear-through character and if you are a detail freak, it will suit you well. The 6SN7 is an overall competent tube that does everything well and is very sweet sounding.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,

Steve from
Western Australia