Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Read this in a for sale add (Syrah)

"Here the original 417A/5842 has been replaced with a E180F/6688, which is the same tube used on the Cortese and Grange models. When triode-connected, the 6688 has the same transconductance as the 417A, but has a higher amplification factor and better linearity - and it sounds better too."

Are these a direct replacement for the 5842s or does the amp need modded?

Thanks Simon
Has anyone implemented or researched the Welborne Remote Control?

http://welbornelabs.com/remote.htm

I installed a DACT in my Chardonnay which was a huge step up in transparency over the stock Alps Blue Pot. I have considered the remote option for the DACT, but the Welborme remote would offer more steps of attenuation.

My greatest concern would be a reduction in transparency, but Ron Welborne seems to think his remote would be equal to the DACT in transparency.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
My Cabernet second-hand value just "depriciated" another $1K due the new double 6SN7 design...sigh! >_<

Kenji
Not so Kenji! I would argue that every Supratek preamp is handmade and 'special' , that the directly heated triode (DHT) models like the Cabernet have their own sound and are unique products that will stand the test of time and may actually become collectable ...plus that bulb shaped TJ-101D is hell sexy and a selling point!!

Regards,
Hello Stevem1960,

Any idea how Mick is coming on the KT-88 amps? There have been no updates on his website. I was just wondering if they are close to production yet. Have you heard a pair of them?