Preamp for mc275le. Need advice, please

Hi,
I m an happy owner of a mc275le ;)) A gift from my wife
I m considering to buy the C50 preamp, but I m confused about all the talk around the sound quality of the built in DAC

Is there any problem with the C50 DAC?
Should I consider a different preamp to pair with the mc275? (need to be from Mcintosh )

DAC is something I intend to use a lot. I ll be streaming music from my laptop via USB.

Please, give me your advice.
Thanks in advance

De Sousa
d123phy
Hey. That's a great wife!!

I'm sure the C50 is a good pre - haven't heard it. But preamps are a mature technology, just like amps, while DACs are changing very fast. Hence I don't think it's a good idea to buy a pre with DAC inside unless you don't mind replacing it in 2 or 3 years.

I have a 275 as well, and although at the time I thought the C220 or C2200 would be the preamps for me, after auditioning I opted for a Lamm LL2. Clearly the Macs have better ergonomics, but can't argue with the sound from preamps like the LL2. Of course I'm not saying the LL2 is in a league of its own. It's not. There are several preamps that focus on sound. You can dig the threads I posted at the time if interested.

The Mac preamps are very user friendly. Like everybody else they make decisions about how to spend the budget they have for a given price point, and they tend to prioritize ergonomics (at the expense of sound) more than other brands.

You need to think what is most valuable for you. I myself, would never give up my Lamm unless I was getting rid of the preamp altogether or upgrading big time.

As for DACs, there are plenty of good ones available, at relatively low prices. Macs sell at a premium, so think about that too. As for recommendations here, you would need to tell us more about the intended use and budget. Will you be using an Apple laptop, iTunes, CDs only or high rez, etc.

Absolutely agree with Lewinskih01, as technology with preamps and amps is very mature, so what you get today will likely be just as satisfying in the future. DAC's are digital technology that is ever changing, and will continue to do so. Since you said you will be using a DAC a lot, and when something new and much improved is introduced, upgrading a separate DAC in the future will be much easier and less costly than having to replace a preamp/DAC combo unit.
I'll come at this from a little different angle. While no one will argue that digital technology and advancement has come a long way, I believe much of the advancement today is certainly marginal for the perceived improvement. In other words, its not like today's digital doesn't sound like music!!! A terrific dac today will not sound like elephant dung in 3 years for crying out loud. People act as though dacs have an expiration date, which of course they do not.

As to your preamp questions, please audition the McIntosh c2500 vs the McIntosh c50. The c50 is solid state vs tube, the c2500 a newer design with, I believe, a newer DAC and implementation.
Ghasley,

Clearly DACs don't have expiration dates. But take a look at what kind of sound a $1k DAC bought you 10 and 5 years ago, and what it gets you today. That's my point. The same can be said at any given price point.

A C2200 (to take Mc, since the OP is looking at them) is about $3.5k today used, it was maybe $4k 3 years ago (used), and will likely not loose much value in 5 years. Can't say the same for DACs. How much are synch USB DACs worth today compared to their price 5 years ago?

Having said that, we do have very good sound from relatively affordable DACs today. I agree with that. But just like asych USB rendered synch USB obsolete on the last 5 years or so, who knows which of today's accepted technologies will be deemed obsolete in a few years?