Preamp Noise with High-Efficiency Speakers

I have Avantgarde Duo Classic Speakers, I hear a very audible buzzing noise whenever I insert an analog preamp. If I run my DAC (AMR DP-777) directly into power amp, the noise disappears. I have tried 4 different preamps (tube and SS), 3 different amps, a bunch of RCA and XLR interconnects, the problem persists. I have tried dedicated power line and two power conditioners (with Multi-wave options) and various high-quality power cords, so far nothing works, and I am forced to run DAC-direct into power amp. The buzz is not very loud but certainly audible enough to be annoying. There's no noise running the same equipment and power source into regular speakers, I am pretty sure it's just the Avantgarde (104dB sensitivity). Please share your solution if you have had similar situations. Thanks!
yingtonggao
If it sounds like white noise, then the signal to noise ratio on your preamp is not high enough to use with the AG horns. If it sounds like 50/60Hz harmonics, then it may be due to your power supply/transformer saturation/DC offset etc.
Finding high quality pre and power amps to run with ultra high efficiency speakers like the AGs is hard. I have a pair of Duos and run mine with TRON amplifiers (www.tron-electric.co.uk).
TRON amplifiers have been specifically designed to work with ultra high efficiency speakers. The designer, Graham Tricker, is the Uk distributor for Avantgarde and has a pair of Trios in his listening room. Ralph Cessaro uses TRON as his preferred amplifiers for his Liszt speakers.
TRON are distributed by Jeff Catalano at Highwater Sound in NYC. Thomas Woschnick (TW Acustic turntable designer) uses TRON for his own personal system.
If after that you still prefer an active preamp, then it's the colouration/distortion of it you like, which is a bandaid fix for something else that's wrong.

Its not a bandaid- an active line section can control an interconnect cable and reduce its artifact. A passive cannot.
It is a banaid fix because his AMR has to drive the input of a preamp through the same interconnects and pre amp inputs are usually 47kohm (industrie standard), his FL100 is acually higher and easier to drive at 57kohm through the same interconnect and 1 pair less as well.
And gain doesn't even come into it as he has an abundance. and as a bonus it's all direct coupled, no "masking" capacitors in the signal path as it would be with many preamps.
A preamp in this case in the path can only add colouration/distortions that some may like because it's masking a problem elsewhere.

Like I said Nelson Pass's quote says it all, to contradict it is almost blasphemous. read again carefully.

Cheers George

A Quote from the master Nelson Pass

We’ve got lots of gain in our electronics. More gain than some of us need or want. At least 10 db more.
Think of it this way: If you are running your volume control down around 9 o’clock, you are actually throwing away signal level so that a subsequent gain stage can make it back up.
Routinely DIYers opt to make themselves a “passive preamp” - just an input selector and a volume control.
What could be better? Hardly any noise or distortion added by these simple passive parts. No feedback, no worrying about what type of capacitors – just musical perfection.
And yet there are guys out there who don’t care for the result. “It sucks the life out of the music”, is a commonly heard refrain (really - I’m being serious here!). Maybe they are reacting psychologically to the need to turn the volume control up compared to an active preamp.

Cheers George
Hi Ying - I highly recommend buying the Jensen noise troubleshooting kit. It is inexpensive (or you can make the devices yourself - they give you the directions) and will come in handy for years to come as equipment, rooms and homes change.

I have 101dB/m speakers and recently installed a new and quite expensive Linestage and immediately noticed the buzz that was always present, but low in level, grew in volume to where it was annoying at the listening seat during quiet passages. With the help of Jensen's troubleshooting guide, I tracked it down to noise being induced in the 3m unbalanced IC's I run from Linestage to amp. With IC's plugged into the amp, but not plugged into the Linestage, the noise was loud and variable depending on how the IC was moved around. Isolation transformers on the IC's won't fix this and I couldn't move IC and equipment that significantly. My solution: my Audion amps have a gain control knob. I turned the gain down on the amps and use more gain in the Linestage. Noise has vanished.

Get the troubleshooting guide with special RCA couplers ($12.50) or print out the guide at the link below and make your own. You'll then be able to unequivocally identify the source of the noise. Dave and Bill from Jensen are also great and very helpful if you need help.

Jensen Noise Troubleshooting Guide

Good luck. You shouldn't have to live with noise nor should you have to settle running DAC direct if you don't want to.
Jordan