Pro-Ject turntables

I was interested in Pro-Ject turntables...are they as good as the reviews say? And which model is the one to get? It could be the less expensive one, no problem. Thanks!
dave_72
But the Xtension 10 has Pro-Ject's outboard, upgraded power supply built in. So what if that's powered by a wallwart?
Ok, thanks for all the recommendations. My current 'table is the Technics 1210M5G and I might want to upgrade in the future. That RM 9.2 looks good, so I'll see if I can get an audition around here...I just wanted to make sure the quality was up to snuff.
Dave72-I demoed a 9.1 several years ago when I was getting ready to jump back into vinyl and it sounded better(not as thin) then the entry level Rega's(P3/5)at the time. Can't remember what cartridge was used but it was relaxed yet focused.
I wonder what kind of table Notec owns?

Back to the post:

Dave,
I've owned more than 15 tables in my 25+ years as a vinyl aficionado. In 25 years I have learned two things:

1. You don't have to spend lots of money to get it right.
2. Like a new car, you will end up trading, selling, or modifying your table/cart a few times before you get "the sound you're looking for" right.

I remember I owned a Pro-ject RPM 6.1 SB for about 2 years with great results. Bought it second hand for about $600.00. Great table for the money!

4.25 kg platter, brass record puck, inverted main bearing with ceramic thust-pad, integrated speed box, gold plated RCA phono sockets, 9"C carbon fibre tone-arm, even 78 speed switchable. It performed extremely well paired with a DV 10X5 and DV P-75 and gave me 2 years of happiness until the trade bug hit me.....again.

Now I'm a big fan of Rega new tables, specifically the RP3 which I find to be the "best bang for the buck" at $895.00 and with an upgradeable path.

Rega's philosophy of light and rigid makes a lot of sense. Always decent tables but now with the new double brace technology, 24V motor, and RB303 tone-arm it's (IMHO) in another league of its own.

I currently own a heavily modified RB3 that now its closer to RP8 standards and I can tell you that I have never been so happy with ANY other set-up, including the late and rather expensive Linn Sondek/Ekos/Akiva/Lingo/Linto.

There are MANY tables out there. Ultimately it boils down to taste and synergy.

Happy listening!