Question for Paradigm Studio 100 owners ...

I'm having some trouble getting the proper amount of bass from my 100v.2 speakers. A fellow inmate at the Asylum suggested moving them out from the rear wall. I was wondering if any of you have experienced increased bass from your Studio 100 or similar speaker after moving them away from the rear wall? Also, how far from the wall did you have to move them to get optimum sound? Any other suggestions re: speaker placement of the Studio 100s would be appreciated. Have a great holiday and thanks for the responses.

John B
oregon3
Hello,
What is the rest of your equipment?The bass will start at the source/preamp then the amplifier and from there the speakers.
Moving them out in the room will probably lean up the bass..maybe make it sound a little tighter and cleaner. The 100s need two things to produce visceral impact..if that is what you seek.One..an amplifier with high current.Two...a source that can pass it on to the rest of the chain.
My system is as follows:

Arcam CD-72
VPI 19jr
Vintage Kenwood tuner
Nak CR-4A cassette
Conrad Johnson PV10A
McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe
Paradigm Studio 100 v.2

The last three items on that list are the newest additions. Before those I had Adcom gear. I'm real happy with the Cj pre.

Between the source components and the CJ pre I have Kimber PBJ. Between the DNA and the Paradigms, I have unterminated runs of Tributaries SP-4. I'm using the stock jumper plates.
I believe your problem is most likely the preamp. As I recall, the CJ PV10A is a very warm preamp with a rather flabby bass. (It can sound great, though, with the right gear.) I also had a warm tube preamp with suboptimal bass response and replaced it with a MF A3cr preamp (one of the better preamps I've ever owned, great for the money). The bass tightened and extended considerably compared to the VAC CLA-1 it replaced.

Obviously you also need to play with speaker positioning to get what you feel is optimal sound. It also doesn't cost any money. But if you're still not happy with the bass, see if you can borrow a different preamp.

Good luck,

Michael
What part of the bass is to lean?...it can't all be MIA. I agree with your AA friend. If you have a test cd and a SPL meter you can get a better idea of whats going on.

The mid-upper bass may be lean because of placement in or near a null point...ie, 1/4 wavelength from the wall.

Or, you could be sitting at a null point. Sometimes moving your speakers and, or...yourself just a few inches can make a pretty big difference...try placing the speakers at 4ft out and slowly move them to 5ft...somewere in that range should work very well IMO.

Dave
Well current doesn't seem to be the problem. You also may want to check your speaker leads. If one speaker is running out of phase it will kill the bass in your system. The 100v2 has plenty of bass for most rooms and too much for others. It's not unheard of the speakers being wired mistakenly out of phase.Play with swapping your positive and negative speaker cable leads to hear if your bass output improves.Do this one speaker at a time.Listen in between each swap.You may want to try different tubes or preamp also. As suggested above, the problem maybe the preamp itself.