Question for Paradigm Studio 100 owners ...

I'm having some trouble getting the proper amount of bass from my 100v.2 speakers. A fellow inmate at the Asylum suggested moving them out from the rear wall. I was wondering if any of you have experienced increased bass from your Studio 100 or similar speaker after moving them away from the rear wall? Also, how far from the wall did you have to move them to get optimum sound? Any other suggestions re: speaker placement of the Studio 100s would be appreciated. Have a great holiday and thanks for the responses.

John B
oregon3
Well current doesn't seem to be the problem. You also may want to check your speaker leads. If one speaker is running out of phase it will kill the bass in your system. The 100v2 has plenty of bass for most rooms and too much for others. It's not unheard of the speakers being wired mistakenly out of phase.Play with swapping your positive and negative speaker cable leads to hear if your bass output improves.Do this one speaker at a time.Listen in between each swap.You may want to try different tubes or preamp also. As suggested above, the problem maybe the preamp itself.
As I recall, the PV10 Inverts phase, so you need to reverse your speaker cables at EITHER the amp or speakers. Hope this helps.
Yes, make sure to reverse the speaker cables (+- to -+). But I second Michael. CJ PV10A is a great sounding pre-amp, but it has a reputation for too soft bass. Not uncommon for tube pre-amps in that price range. The PV10B improved the bass.. but it still wouldn't compare to the bass of a SS pre of the same caliber.
But you never know, it might be your room. Take a day and play with placement, yes, I have also heard taking the speakers further out can increase the bass, but it all ultimately depends on the dynamics/acoustics of your room.
Good Luck
I have also expierenced a lack of bass out of my Studio 100s. After swapping out everything, I narrowed it down to my Monster bi-wire speaker cables being the weakest link. I made up some new cables using some inwall 14/4 and it was a huge improvement. I even have replaced an old Denon CD player with a new Jolida JD100 with little improvement compared to the cable swap. Strange. Any suggestions on cables for good bass output with the 100's? I was considering DH Labs Q10. Please let us now how it works out.
Getting more bass from any speaker in any room does not always mean siting it close to the wall behind it. The room mode that reinforces bass is where the speaker (and yourself) needs to be. This will take some patience and legwork on your part to find out where it is. In my room it is 6-7 ft. from the front wall, with me approx. 10 ft. from the plane of the speakers. Putting the speakers 2-3 ft. from the wall results in LESS bass. Before you start doing the "equipment shuffle", you need to play around with placement. And don't be afraid to go against conventional wisdom.

Oz