"Breathing" of the air

Hi folks, I would like to ask you the following. With some audiophile set ups I'm able to hear what I call "breathing" of the air, as if the air surrounding voices and instruments is a living entity, as if one is capable of hearing individual air molecules, if you know what I mean. Are you familiar with this phenomenon? Is this quality inherent to some amplifiers or speakers? Can you mention set ups that have these characteristics?

Chris
dazzdax
The first time I ever heard "air" in my system was an amazing thing to me. Went out and told a couple of non-audiophile friends about it...when they evntually came over to visit, I excitedly put on a couple of cd's do demonstrate what I was talking about. After a couple of minutes of listening, they looked at each other and then they looked at me like I was crazy....they couldn't understand what all the fuss was all about. To me, it was sonic bliss.

Man, this is a lonely hobby....kind of like being on earth alone and I can only communicate to other beings on other planets via radio (internet).
"..which is so evident in live music and rather difficult to reproduce properly at home, even with the "right" recordings."

Absolutely agree with Detlof on this. This is one of the many key reasons Stereo systems will never sound like the real thing: recordings can't 'thoroughly' record air and systems can't 'thoroughly' reproduce 'air'. But if done right can come awfully close in creating believable illusion.
Steve Hoffman, the well-known recording engineer calls it the "Breath of Life". I might as well let him explain it. Browse this page of his website. It's fun and you'll learn a lot:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/dhinterviews/
Agree with Atmasphere about the confusion in the "air".

As far as "breathing", in vocals and particularly reed instruments, like sax, my experience leads me towards 2 and 3 inch soft dome mids first and planar ribbon mids second. It's a quality I demand but I'm not saying either is more accurate.